Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Fizz & Hiss when using 'Monitor In' port on NE6

Postby Ben Maxwell » 21 Jun 2020, 00:31

Hello people of the nord community!

I'm in a situation that I've been stuck in for a while but have just kind of put up with it for the last few months but I am not sure of what exactly the issue is (I think I just need other peoples perspectives and views on it just to help me re-think maybe), but my problem is regarding the 'Monitor In' port on the back of the NE6. I'll run through what I've done and the test's I've done so you can gauge where I'm up to. Any suggestions on what the issue is would be great, but alternatively, if you think i'm doing everything right, please say because if I am, then I may contact nord on why this is an issue. Hopefully this is just something on my end but if not I'm interested to know why this happens.

Anyway. My issue itself like I said before is about using the 'Monitor In' port on the NE6. The issue is that when I plug in my phone (Samsung A70), I get a weird hiss and fizzing noise but only when music or audio is coming through. Let's use YouTube for example. If I want to play along to a recording or song on YouTube, the fizz is there. However, when I press pause, there is a period of around 3 seconds where the fizz stays and then it's similar to a gate where the fizz stops, only to return again as soon as I play audio again. The main parts within the chain are...

1. Phone (Samsung A70)
2. Cable to connect
3. Nord Electro 6d 73

In order to eliminate the issue, I went through each section to find the issue. So firstly, I checked the phone. I used a variety of different headphones and output devices and none of them had a fizzing noise. I used over-ear headphones (Beyerdynamic DT250), In-ear's (Shure SE215's) and the stock headphones that came with the device. None of these produced a hiss.

In order to test the cable, I used 2 and both had the same issue. To ensure that the cable wasn't the issue in the chain, I plugged the output of phone (where you'd plug it into the nord), into 2 audio interfaces (Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen and Focusrite Red16Line) and recorded them into Logic Pro X and then listened back and there were no issues. Both cables had the same result so I know this is not the issue.

Finally, It's the nord. Before I upgraded my phone to the Samsung A70, I had an old Samsung A5 2015 (SM-A500FU) and this had no issues with static or anything. I used the same cable and the same everything, so the port isn't the issue because it can have audio without the fizz.

Hopefully you can see my issue? I'm currently a music tech student so I'm more than competent with this kind of stuff (which is why this is so much more annoying for me :D), but any help on this would be very very appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe i'm not. If there's anything I've missed please let me know and I'll be happy to let you know. It's just very weird and doesn't make a lot of sense. (Also just want to clarify this hiss is audible when I have my headphones plugged into the NE6 and also when connected to the 1/4" jack's on the rear panel).

Sorry there's a lot of info but I'd rather just give you all i've got as it beats going back and forth between responses. Thanks to anyone who helps and thanks for your time.

All the best, Ben :D
Ben Maxwell
Audio Engineer
NS3 | NW2
Ben Maxwell

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Fizz & Hiss when using 'Monitor In' port on NE6

Sponsor

Re: Fizz & Hiss when using 'Monitor In' port on NE6

Postby Tasten-Bert » 21 Jun 2020, 07:54

Hi Ben, could you please post a foto showing both plugs of your cable? Hope we‘ll get this sorted out together. Sunny regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Ben Maxwell
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby baekgaard » 22 Jun 2020, 00:13

Do you charge the phone at the same time or have it connected via USB also?

This kind of noise can happen when you have multiple potential paths, such as a through a power supply or charger.

I have this issue with some phones in my car...

Sendt fra min IN2023 med Tapatalk

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
Ben Maxwell
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pterm » 22 Jun 2020, 21:30

baekgaard wrote:Do you charge the phone at the same time or have it connected via USB also?

This kind of noise can happen when you have multiple potential paths, such as a through a power supply or charger.

+1
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Ben Maxwell » 25 Jun 2020, 19:53

Tasten-Bert wrote:Hi Ben, could you please post a foto showing both plugs of your cable? Hope we‘ll get this sorted out together. Sunny regards from Germany.

Hi there :),

Here is a photo of the cables. (The middle white one is another I found lying around my room so tried that with no luck). Also sorry for not responding sooner.

Thanks again
Attachments
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg (698.92 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Last edited by Ben Maxwell on 25 Jun 2020, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Maxwell
Audio Engineer
NS3 | NW2
Ben Maxwell

Postby Ben Maxwell » 25 Jun 2020, 19:57

Hlaalu wrote:This comes to mind:
nord-electro-forum-f9/monitor-input-problems-t10596.html

Maybe it's not your problem but you may want to have a look at the above thread.

Hi there

Thanks for senging me this. I've had a look and I will continue to read on other threads related to this so thank you

: )
Ben Maxwell
Audio Engineer
NS3 | NW2

The author Ben Maxwell was thanked by:
baekgaard
Ben Maxwell

Postby Ben Maxwell » 25 Jun 2020, 19:58

baekgaard wrote:Do you charge the phone at the same time or have it connected via USB also?

I have this issue with some phones in my car...

Sendt fra min IN2023 med Tapatalk

Hey there.

I purposely made sure not to charge my phone for this issue but again, thank you for thinking of it.

: )
Ben Maxwell
Audio Engineer
NS3 | NW2

The author Ben Maxwell was thanked by 2 members, including:
ptermbaekgaard
Ben Maxwell

Postby pterm » 26 Jun 2020, 14:58

If possible, please post a recording of the fizz and hiss. We can look at the spectral content for clues as to the source.
Also, a picture of the cables connected to the Nord while recording.
--Unfortunately, recording adds another variable, so understanding your setup might help the diagnosis. The hope is the problem is external to the Nord.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby JohnT » 26 Jun 2020, 19:20

I experience this same noise when I connect my Nord via USB to my PC. I found the problem in my case was another USB device (touch screen monitor) that was being powered by the USB port. Is your Nord connected to a computer via USB? Do you have any other USB devices connected to the PC?
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650
JohnT

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby Tasten-Bert » 08 Jul 2020, 15:29

Hi Ben, how are things going? Any success in this matter? I just happened to have a perhaps similar buzzing noise at the moment I had a cable of the same type not properly inserted. It was a standing loud buzz.

Have you already played a bit with the plug(s) trying to find out whether there are any changes?

Again good luck. Today rainy regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum