All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Which Amps do you folks like here?

Postby Trifid1958 » 18 Jun 2020, 23:10

Hi all,
one of my customer would like to buy active monitors with a nice sound of piano mainly, but he is drummer too and he has Roland TD25K electronic drum set.
He would like to use something universal for using Nord Stage 3 88 and this electronic drum set together in home for training.. We have tested HH active 12" TESSEN monitor and sound of piano was not clean.
I am thinking about Nord active monitors and add to them some active subwoofer ( there is an output for subbwoofer ) in middle price category ( Yamaha HS 8 is too small I think, whats about dB Technologies SUB 612 A or something like this ?).
For kick ( or for hammond sound ) will be at home 12" speaker good ? Nord unfortunately do not have any subwoofer 10 or 12"...
If you have a good experiences with any different set of 2+1 system for it in similar price, please let me know.
Thank you for your kind help.
Trifid 1958 from Prague :geek:
Trifid1958

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby Robertojazz » 24 Jan 2023, 15:13

Hola , acabo de comprar el Nord Piano 5, estoy entusiasmado con la calidad del sonido. me preguntaba si un amplificador "Aer" , ya que su calidad de sonido acústico es extraordinario, lo utiliza alguien y que opinión tienen. vale la pena gastarse el costoso " Aer" para el Nord?
Robertojazz

Postby FZiegler » 24 Jan 2023, 15:46

Hi, this forum is English-language only. You may get an automatic translation into your language through Google translator service. There is no automatic translation of your posts, though. So we only see Spanish or Portuguese text. It's best if you use a translation tool yourself (translate.google.com or deepl.com) or try to write in English yourself. As long as we can understand, it's no problem.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby FZiegler » 24 Jan 2023, 16:12

An acoustic guitar has a lot smaller range of resonating frequencies than an acoustic piano. The latter needs enough power for the low notes, crisp sounding heights (but not screaming) and well levelled mids. Some say a lot of power for transients is necessary, too. That's not what you will find even in a mixed bass/guitar amplifier all together. So Aer will probably not be the brand you need to look for - even if I never heard one.

I still belive 8'' are best for a piano full range DSP monitor on stage. If you are talking about home use, it may even be a 5'' studio monitor that works best for yourself (but not for any auditory). Cf. the Amplification FAQ on this forum.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by 2 members, including:
ognordverbalakrobat
FZiegler
Donator

Postby cphollis » 25 Jan 2023, 00:38

It would not be worth the money for the Aer or similar designs. As @fziegler said, reproducing vocals and an acoustic guitar in a smaller setting is one thing, reproducing the full range of a Nord Piano 5 is another thing entirely. Although the Nord would not sound "bad" through Aer and similar, you might be better served by other alternatives.

If you are considering the Aer, my guess is that you want to perform in a small venue, and not your home or studio. The column speakers (Bose and similar) work well for me there, as its a very natural and dispersed sound. If it's a larger venue or an electric band, consider a pair of powered 8" PA speakers on stands spanning a wide price range :)
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby ognord » 14 Apr 2023, 20:07

Hello, I just joined the Nord family with the purchase of a Stage 3. Looking forward to getting a studio setup happening, but wondering: what would you say the essentials are for amplification? Studio monitors? Keyboard amp? Subwoofer? I don't have a ton of space to work with. As far as budget: my goal is decent enough sound quality and frequently response, while also not breaking my bank :)

Thanks for any/all input.

EDIT: just saw the link that @FZiegler posted above - will keep me busy for hours! Thanks
Last edited by ognord on 14 Apr 2023, 20:11, edited 2 times in total.
ognord

Postby MarkJames » 15 Apr 2023, 14:03

ognord wrote:Hello, I just joined the Nord family with the purchase of a Stage 3. Looking forward to getting a studio setup happening, but wondering: what would you say the essentials are for amplification? Studio monitors? Keyboard amp? Subwoofer? I don't have a ton of space to work with. As far as budget: my goal is decent enough sound quality and frequently response, while also not breaking my bank :)

Thanks for any/all input.

EDIT: just saw the link that @FZiegler posted above - will keep me busy for hours! Thanks

I have 2 QSC CP12s as home/stage monitors. You may want to look at the CP8 as it’s smaller and doesn’t give up much.

I started out with an older Roland keyboard amp but wanted better quality as well as stereo sound.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2