Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Recommendations for new 80s keyboard sounds

Postby Sal-FloydonNord2 » 17 Jun 2020, 20:06

Hi everyone

I currently have a Nord Stage 2 as my main keyboard but would like to add a new additional keyboard specifically to recreate 1980s band sounds i.e. Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, Human League, Soft Cell, and all those big 1980s sounds including the ones which include guitar..... says our guitarist!!! (So looking at material other than Kraftwerk!! :lol: )

Thinking I need another keyboard with good arpeggiator and looping capability, (which might include drum as bonus only), while I play synth on the Nord, with maybe presets for the 80s synth and piano sounds. Needing something to work with the Nord maybe layering on top of what Nord primarily is playing, Nord always being the main keyboard with secondary keyboard backing up what I can't play at the same time on Nord with its 2 slots per programme.

My local music store PMT in Bristol, UK, showed me the ROLAND VR09 before lockdown on a casual visit, and it was about £700 then, its now available for about £570. Awesome price when I consider the price of a Nord. This Roland VR09 is 61 keys, not weighted, which is fine as I have my beloved Nord with 88 fully weighted keys for my main stuff. Looking at videos the Roland VR09 seems to cover a variety of decades, not particularly 1980s.

What do you 1980s guys and girls think. Agree, disagree, can you offer alternatives up to approx £1000 UK sterling pounds. (I am a classical trained pianist now mostly playing In a David Bowie tribute band which is currently exploring a side line of 1980s music. Things like modules and tech stuff are therefore a bit alien to me, not necessarily beyond me, but thinking that is something I might need to get into reluctantly. Any comments and recommendation welcome).

Happy lockdown creativity, and love to you all. Looking forward to hearing from you. Boom Boom Boom.

Sally
Last edited by Sal-FloydonNord2 on 17 Jun 2020, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
Sal-FloydonNord2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Recommendations for new 80s keyboard sounds

Sponsor

Re: Recommendations for new 80s keyboard sounds

Postby Tasten-Bert » 17 Jun 2020, 22:41

Hi Sally, I would recommend to have an eye on the korg kross 2-61 which is at the same price level as the roland vr09 but has much better arpeggio features and as far as I know much better 80s synth sounds. The roland vr09 seems to be let me call it a low price plastic nord. Roland launched this model after they didn‘t get neither the vr760 nor the vr700 established in the market segment which was opened by nord. I think you‘ll love the korg. Sunny regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Recommendations for new 80s keyboard sounds

Postby Sal-FloydonNord2 » 17 Jun 2020, 23:12

Hi Tasten-Bert

Fabulous!! Thanks for the reply. I love Korg. The Kronos is far too heavy for me so this sounds like something to look into. One that I haven't found so far so I will book an appointment with my local music store as soon as I can to test drive one. PS I like your comment, Roland VR09 like a "plastic Nord!!! "

Have a safe unlock down.

Sally xx
Sal-FloydonNord2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage 2 Programs (*.ns2p files)