Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Grand feel - what’s happening in my brain?

Postby SteveNordP3 » 14 May 2020, 04:27

The Grand arrived today. Having the 2G for Pianos is brilliant. But let’s talk about feel.

Before turning it on I just had to “play” something to see how it felt and I was concerned - it didn’t “feel” like a grand to me. Then I connected headphones and played and dang....in my brain, it’s like sitting at the C7. Why is that happening in my brain? When I play it (listening to what I’m playing) it seems to feel different than just pressing the keys without sound. And by the way - “without sound” is a misnomer. There is still plenty of mechanical sound coming from the keys - thumping and such you’ll never hear playing in even a small room but solo you can still hear it. I’ve lived with it to one degree or another in every digital piano I’ve ever had - don’t know why I was expecting this Kawai bed would be noiseless - still - the physical connection with the instrument is quite stunning!

Also the weight is really not noticeably different than the P3. Don’t know how they’re going to top this...quite the accomplishment!!

The author SteveNordP3 was thanked by 2 members, including:
VivelevinHwyStar
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Grand feel - what’s happening in my brain?

Sponsor

Re: Grand feel - what’s happening in my brain?

Postby stevei » 16 May 2020, 17:12

Interesting... Theres probably some deep scientific answer to that, anytime I play it without the sound I just feel lost and confused hahah. I agree the actual weight is not much different from np3 or 4 but for me the touch and release was way different and better. That could also be my imagination.
stevei

Postby SteveNordP3 » 16 May 2020, 17:35

Haha! I wasn’t really playing it without sound - I was just dying to get a sense of how it felt as soon as I got it out of the box! I don’t know if the feel is psychological either and I don’t care - the sounds have always been the holy grail and now this keybed just seals the deal for me!
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby boxerdad » 08 Jun 2020, 17:51

SteveNordP3 nailed it in his comparison of playing the keybed without sound, and then playing with sound. My Nord Grand arrived last week. It's a killer Kawai action. It's not their RM3 action but it's excellent nonetheless. 'not so keen on the piano samples though. I think they could use some good EQ but for use as a stage piano it's the bee's knees.
boxerdad

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby baekgaard » 09 Jun 2020, 02:44

boxerdad wrote:SteveNordP3 nailed it in his comparison of playing the keybed without sound, and then playing with sound. My Nord Grand arrived last week. It's a killer Kawai action. It's not their RM3 action but it's excellent nonetheless. 'not so keen on the piano samples though. I think they could use some good EQ but for use as a stage piano it's the bee's knees.
If all the pianos need EQ... I'm wondering what amplification you're using?

They pretty much all sound like a real piano to me, and only need EQ to the extent you would (or wouldn't) EQ that.

Some other brands of keyboards have more processed and EQ'd sounds - it could also be that is your reference, I guess?
Last edited by baekgaard on 09 Jun 2020, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby saintpipen » 30 Aug 2020, 20:07

Are you using Heavy touch setting? I found Medium to be too light for me and it took me some hours to get accustomed to the Heavy setting, although I was using NP4 with the standard (heavy) setting anyway. The action in the Grand is just superb.
saintpipen

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum