All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Gear Alert: new QSC K8.2

Postby uro-frank » 03 Jun 2020, 21:46

Got the K8.2 today! Grreat!!!! I love it from the first moment without EQ-ing a lot at the nordstage... cphollis, which preset do you use? Stage Monitor 1 or 2?
Last edited by uro-frank on 03 Jun 2020, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nordstage 2 EX 88 with Doepfer D3M MIDI-waterfall-keyboard as organ-manual.
2x QSC K8.2 amplification
:keyboard:
uro-frank

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Sponsor

Postby cphollis » 03 Jun 2020, 22:28

I run mine on the default setting, as I typically have them on short poles. I believe the stage monitor settings are to help reduce acoustic coupling when you use them as wedges on a wooden stage, for example. The net effect is to attenuate bass frequencies.

Hope you enjoy them!
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
uro-frank
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby uro-frank » 04 Jun 2020, 10:24

O.k., will test this. In the documentation you can read, that "Stage Monitor 2" seems to be for keyboards and I thought also about "Studio Monitor", because that should be mostly flat, as studio monitors should be normally. I will test a little bit within the next days. But is always a little bit tricky, because I always have to play a part, then to change the presets on both 8.2's, and then play again und remeber the differences... could become a little bit hard :-)

Do you think, the "Default" preset is nearly flat, un-eq-ed. I couldn't find any EQ-curves for the different DSP-presets unfortunately. Also a company secret like the Dyno-settings of the new Nordstage 3 keyboards ;-)

But in the first feeling, the sound is really good and brilliant, I feel much more overtones (is it the rhight english word?). I am very glad to purchase this pair of K8.2. Until now I have it at the floor in front of me, with a small foam underlay with an slight angle, so that they point some degrees up, because the wedge-angle 45° ist to steep for the distance from boxes to keyboard (about 3m = 10 feet).

Does anybody know the beam angle in vertical of the boxes? Horizontal is 105°.
uro-frank

Postby Jeffmac » 05 Jun 2020, 00:46

They are hemispherical horns so the beamwidth is alway 105 degrees
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Roland Fantom 06, ASM Hydrasynth, Roland RD-2000, Radial Key Largo and various other crap

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6aH90H5 ... 6pcqaFzUZQ

The author Jeffmac was thanked by:
uro-frank
Jeffmac

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 05 Jun 2020, 02:54

I almost never EQ the K8.2s. They're best when they're flat.

All EQ is driven by the Nords. The K8.2s are exceptionally flat. The sound is crisp, not flabby like larger units. There is plenty of peak power for transients. The 105 degree dispersion helps in smaller venues. The first time I played through them, I realized they were sort of special.

You can spend more for killer 8" speakers (my RCF TT08-a units come to mind), but you pay a lot more for not that much more in terms of sonic joy. What you're hearing are crisp highs (overtones) with enough wattage to make it matter.

I think a little googling might discover the shape of the dyno EQ curves. It feels "smiley" (boosted base, boosted treble, depressed midrange). If I'm bored some afternoon, I'll give it a go.
Last edited by cphollis on 05 Jun 2020, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

uro-frank
cphollis

Postby uro-frank » 05 Jun 2020, 17:42

Wow, changed from preset "Stage Monitor 1" to "Default"... huge difference! Much mor bass... After this changing I have to correct my Nordstage-EQ-ing completely (had ad first -5 dB bass for example, now I need about -10dB)... so I need some 1 or 2 hours to check that with all my sounds :-)

So you believe (or know), that "Default" is completey "Flat"? Then I have to revise my sounds complete indeed.
uro-frank

Postby cphollis » 05 Jun 2020, 19:27

The default setting is pretty flat for a PA speaker. See the charts here: https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/prod ... _specs.pdf

And, yes, you most likely will want to go through your presets and audition them again.

uro-frank
cphollis

Postby uro-frank » 05 Jun 2020, 19:43

Thanks! Very interesting, the frequency curves of the Default preset! So I have a litle bit of work at the weekend :-)

I did google a bit for Nordstage 3 EP Dyno and Filter curves, but couldn't find anything until now. Perhaps was looking for the wrong parameters. If you could be a little bit bored perhaps, perhaps you will find something? I am not soooo god with english texts.. and german things are not to find...
uro-frank

Postby uro-frank » 08 Jun 2020, 21:02

Allright, made a lot of EQ-ing the Nordstage-Presets at this weekend... QSC K8.2 with default preset, so no EQ or DSP in...

At the Nordstage 2 EX 88 the grandpiano "White Grand" sounds great wothout bigger EQ-ing. Little bit bass down, little bit treble in, no dynamics, no compression... sounds perfect!
All my e-piano presets has to change in EQ-ing much more... I prefer the EP1, EP 5 , 6 and 7. Mostly I lowered the bass about 5 - 10 dB, extremly boostet the 8kHz until +15dB (a german Nordstage player told me one time, that George Duke did this also with his Rhodes pianos), some treble +5-10 dB, drive 1-1,5, no compression, dynamics 1, a little bit chorus 1 and reverb Stage 1 with 3.0...

And now I AM REALLY GLAD with the sound... never had it so good before! The QSC K8.2 are really a perfect solution for this price! The ventilator is audible in the silence of my small room, but not annoying. The brilliance of the "crisp highs" is perfect! And the bass is much enough, as you told.

I always hear about the RCF TT08-a, more expensive and still a little bit better. But this is an old version, which is not possible to buy anymore (did only find ONE in internet - used - in germany). Do you know a replacement for this boxes from RCF at this time? So "the best" for "a lot more of money"?

So thanks a lot for all the information and the recommendation to buy the K8.2. It was the right decision!
Last edited by uro-frank on 09 Jun 2020, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
uro-frank

Postby FZiegler » 04 Jul 2020, 00:11

Hi,
got my pair of K8.2 today, but I'm disappointed about the sound. No, not the sound of the amplification: It's amazing, it's great, it's pure, it's clean - there are so many differentiations in the sound you can hear. But apart from a slight hissing/background noise (almost unhearable), I've got two other sounds I didn't count on: one box has a distinct (power supply?) humming (the other less) and the second an elevated fan rotation sound. In my music room, I've got them < 1 m lateraly behind me, and I won't bear that for a long time.

Did anyone already talk about that? I didn't manage to read the whole thread - it's grown a lot in the last three years!

I attach a recording:
0:00 You hear my Tascam recorder's noise, nothing else: The K8.2s are in standby and absolutely silent.
0:05 After the first few notes, you hear the humming (should be mostly on the right channel);
even if it's summer outside and the speakers run for quite a while, only at
1:02 the fan of the right speaker starts, followed at
1:15 by the left one.

This isn't normal, is it?

One of those speakers was a returned item (the one with the increased fan sound) and I don't wonder why. But the other one isn't OK, too - in my ears. What do you think?
Or do I have to forget the idea of using them the way I do? Of course I didn't buy them for at home - but for stage use which wouldn't be that big problem.

BTW, were they always made in China?
Attachments
QSC K8.2 noises.mp3
0:00 Standby (just recording noise)
0:05 some notes
0:09 (power supply?) humming
0:16 some more notes, just to fill the time
1:02 fan on speaker #1 starting
1:15 fan on speaker #2 starting
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
Last edited by FZiegler on 04 Jul 2020, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification