Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Midi Interface connection the the Nord Lead 2x

Postby Martu » 31 May 2020, 21:11

I am planning on getting a nl2x but I'm pretty noobie to the midi interface n stuff, and wondered what cables I need and where to place them. I do know theres a Midi and a Usb cable which goes in the Nord lead 2's back and through the midi interface but I might possibly need more cables, A sketch simplifying it would be great. If there a way to place notes and not just record the sound of it as a file.
Martu

Midi Interface connection the the Nord Lead 2x

Sponsor

Re: Midi Interface connection the the Nord Lead 2x

Postby wartaler » 01 Jun 2020, 09:34

Hi Martu,
It depends a bit what sort of MIDI interface you have. For small ones like the iConnectivity mio, or Roland UM-One, you won't need to buy any extra cables.
If you have a larger MIDI interface like the ESI M4U eX, or an audio interface that also has
a couple of MIDI ports, buy 2 MIDI cables; one for recording MIDI from your synth on your computer, one for playing back MIDI / controlling your synth. The USB cable connects the interface to the computer and is usually included with the interface when you buy it. MIDI cables have a DIN 5 connector on each end. The MIDI OUT of the interface has to be connected to the IN of the synth, MIDI OUT of the synth to the IN of the interface. I'd recommend buying the interface and MIDI cables from a music store, stay away from very cheap USB MIDI interfaces.
Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 01 Jun 2020, 09:48, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: Midi Interface connection the the Nord Lead 2x

Postby Nordlicht » 01 Jun 2020, 10:38

Martu wrote:I do know theres a Midi and a Usb cable which goes in the Nord lead 2's back and through the midi interface but I might possibly need more cables,

Wartaler already explained a lot.

AS the Nord Lead 2X only has the classic DIN MIDI IN and OUT connectors, the easiest way to connect it to a computer would be such a simple "cable interface" like this one: https://www.thomann.de/intl/maudio_midi ... &reload=1#

After connecting and powering on the Synth you should be able to see and chose it as a MIDI source in your DAW.

Of course you need one or two instrument cables to connect the synth to a mixer or audio interface - or you're using just headphones.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Nordlicht
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum