General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2 MIDI and audio problem

Postby YakovB91 » 30 May 2020, 16:14

Hi everyone,
When I using my Nord stage 2 as a midi controller for example in Logic the volume of the Piano section on my Nord changes to 0 on the moment I press any note on the keyboard. It happens only with the piano section, not with the synth section or the organ. I want to record my Nord with midi and audio at the same time but I can do it only with the synth section but I want to do it with the piano.
anybody know how to fix it and stop the volume of the piano section changed to 0 when the midi is connected?
YakovB91

Nord Stage 2 MIDI and audio problem

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 MIDI and audio problem

Postby maxpiano » 30 May 2020, 17:25

To use the NS2 as MIDI controller for Logic you should rather use the Extern Section (not the Global MIDI, disable it instead), check the NS2 manual for Extern Section settings and/or The Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 May 2020, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby YakovB91 » 30 May 2020, 19:55

I don't know if you understand me well. I want to to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LsTdQU-Nm8&t
YakovB91

Postby maxpiano » 30 May 2020, 21:19

I don't know if you understand well what the NS2 can and cannot do and how recording audio and/or MIDI on a DAW works instead... first of all NS2 does not send audio over USB so to capture NS2 audio you need a sound card, then assuming you have that, if you want to send MIDI to the DAW you have two options:

a) use the Global Channel (OK if you need to capture everything you play including panel Controls)

b) use the Extern Section (preferred method if you are going to to use Vortual Instruments)

The two methods can also be combined. This and more is explained in the NS2 Manual and in the NS MIDI Tutorial, which you should definitely read carefully.
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 May 2020, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby YakovB91 » 30 May 2020, 21:28

I understand that USB cable doesn't send sound... I connect the audio output of my Nord to the soundcard and record audio all the time... and use my Nord as midi with USB to control the logic sounds all the time... What I asked is how to record simultaneity audio and midi at the same time but I have the problem I explain on my first message that the piano section volume changed to zero when I try to record audio and midi at the same time
Last edited by YakovB91 on 30 May 2020, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
YakovB91

Postby maxpiano » 30 May 2020, 21:40

OK, so depending on the DAW you are using you need to "arm" a combined MIDI/Audio(stereo) track or two distinct tracks (Audio + MIDI); on the MIDI track you will select NS2 only as input when recoding (if you select it also as output you need to set NS2 in Local Off to avoid a MIDI data loop + you risk that the DAW sends unwanted MIDI data to the NS2, which could be the cause of your problem).

PS: on NS2 manual appendix you can see what is the MIDI cc associated to Piano section level, this may help to diagnose if/what/why is setting it to 0

PS2: on Logic you can use either a single "External Instrument" track (combined MIDI+Audio) or 2 distinct tracks (one Stereo Audio + 1 MIDI)
Last edited by maxpiano on 31 May 2020, 12:13, edited 9 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum