Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 2X receiving controller midi from Ableton

Postby mrblackbat » 26 May 2020, 16:58

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot an issue I have where I'm able to record the midi information from my Nord Lead 2X within Ableton, however, it doesn't seem to be recognised on playback.

I'm using an Edirol UA1000 interface, Ableton 10. I have a midi channel set up with an external instrument in Ableton, sending midi on channel 1 to the UA1000, which is plugged into the Nord. Note playback is functioning fine, along with program changes. I've got a clip that I've then tried to do a big filter sweep on, and Ableton has recorded the Midi controller information for controller 74 which is listed as the filter cutoff in the Nord manual here - https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... %201.1.pdf

However, when I play the clip back, the filter is just static to the position where it is in the saved patch (so it's clearly sending the information to reselect the patch on playback, and then ignoring the new information for the filter).

I've tried turning on the filter envelope trigger, which is working and applying the midi velocity to the envelope, so that's working. I've also tried switching the Nord between midi Local mode on and off, but that doesn't seem to do much either.

Anyone able to give any pointers as to what the issue might be? If you need anymore info, happy to oblige!
mrblackbat

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nord Lead 2X receiving controller midi from Ableton

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 2X receiving controller midi from Ableton

Postby pablomastodon » 27 May 2020, 03:30

what midi settings are you using on the Nord? There are independent channel settings for Global and Slots A-D. I would recommend setting all five to different channels and NOT using the Global Channel for this scenario.

Also, are you in Program or Performance Mode on the Nord?

bless, pablo

PS -- welcome to this Forum! FYI, some folks may consider your question to be lacking in etiquette because you didn't say HELLO before launching into your subject matter. I'm not one of them, preferring to assume that your brain's focus is too consumed by this midi question to think of that. Also, in case you're not aware, this forum is not affiliated with Nord in any way. It is operated by volunteers who are Nord enthusiasts.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
mrblackbat
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby mrblackbat » 27 May 2020, 10:48

Thank you for your reply Pablo and thankyou for the welcome. Apologies on the etiquette, I thought the Hi All would have covered it, but everywhere is different! :thumbup:

To answer your questions:-

For the midi settings, I have slot A mapped to channel 1, slot B to channel 2 and so on. However, I just checked and global is also set to channel 1. I'm not quite sure why I've done that (and don't have my music laptop in front of me right at this moment to check if it's something to do with the way Midi is sent from Ableton); will get back to you on that and try and change the global channel.

The Nord is in program mode.

Worst comes to the worse I can always just record the audio with the filter sweep in, but for all sorts of reasons (including the potential to tweak in a live scenario) I'd rather do that as a last resort really.

Thanks,

Matthew
mrblackbat

Postby mrblackbat » 27 May 2020, 11:28

Hi Pablo,

Further to this, I changed the global channel to 5, and the sweeps are being played back (and program information is still being received). So thank you very much for this! I knew it would be something simple that was just set up wrong, never thought to look at the global channels.

Thanks,

Matthew
mrblackbat

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum