Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Buggy Electro 6d

Postby martymags » 22 May 2020, 00:22

Hey,

This may be a basic question, but I am relatively new to Nord.

I bought an Electro 6D a few months ago, but have not played with it very much, as most of the sounds I require are pretty basic pianos and organs.

Yesterday when I went to play, a weird thing was happening - every patch that had more than 1 sound, whether it was layered or split had the same bug: after about 2-3 seconds of playing, the secondary sound (or sounds) would just cut out, and the little "e" showed up as though I was editing the sound. Is this a common glitch? Is there a quick way to reset the keyboard? Will I lose my patches? I do h a ve them in Sound Manager, but if the Electro is reset will they still be there?

And yes, I did re-start several times, unplugged the control pedal, etc.

Is this a problem that I need to have fixed by a pro? Just asking, I'm not sure if this is common bug.

Thanks.
martymags

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Buggy Electro 6d

Sponsor

Re: Buggy Electro 6d

Postby twofarmers » 22 May 2020, 03:08

Haven't seen this on my NE6HP.
Are there any pedals plugged in when the patch changes?
Is it always the same section that cuts out (e.g. the piano or synth modules)?
I think the reset would involve downloading the original setting from Nord.com. Depending on how many custom programs you have, you can move them into one bank. If you backup those individual banks, you may be able to reload them after the reset. My gut feeling is that there is a hardware issue in the section that is cutting out. Maybe a potentiometer issue.
twofarmers

Postby cgrafx » 22 May 2020, 05:45

you've got a faulty switch or knob encoder somewhere. Most likely what is known as a cold solder joint that is intermittently kicking the board into edit mode.

This would clearly fall under warranty repair and yes you will need to have it looked at.

The problem as described is a hardware issue, not something that can be fixed through a software or firmware updates.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 22 May 2020, 08:33

This could be a hardware issue, yes. Bit one thing to check for is whether you could accidentally have connected something to the controller pedal input - in case you only hear piano sounds and organ/synth are set up to respond to a swell or volume pedal...

Unlikely, yes, but sometimes connecting the sustain pedal to the control input causes issues like this, so just checking :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby martymags » 22 May 2020, 22:27

Thanks for the replies - I did unplug all of the pedals, etc., so I guess it's a hardware problem.
martymags

Postby DJKeys » 24 May 2020, 02:02

martymags wrote:Thanks for the replies - I did unplug all of the pedals, etc., so I guess it's a hardware problem.

This happened to me briefly today on my NS3C. It kept flashing into edit mode on an empty patch, and it said "frequency 200Hz". I turned the Frequency dial in the EQ section a few times back and forth and it went away for now. Check and see if there is any other information in your display when the "E" appears-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator