Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

NP4 MIDI THRU ISSUES

Postby stephenrandall » 22 May 2020, 01:18

Hi,

I've got my NP4 connected via the USB to my MacBookPro (16" 2019, 32Gb RAM) using Logic ProX 10.5. I can control sample libraries etc via MIDI OUT as expected. However, when I connect a MIDI controller (A Stepp DG1 guitar) to the NP4 MIDI IN (5 PIN), it plays the NP4 sounds, (I'm using Ch 1) but does not send those MIDI notes thru to Logic Pro X (which is receiving on ALL). I can successfully use exactly the same setup with my Native Instruments S88 and everything works as it should, i.e. Logic shouldn't care if a note is triggered on the NP4 or the controller. However, that is not what is happening on the NP4. I've updated the NP4 firmware to the latest version (2.5) and tried various combinations of different MIDI channels and Local on/off etc. Nothing I have tried results in the controller sending MIDI via NP4 to its MIDI OUT into LOGIC PRO X. It doesn't make any sense to me unless NP4 MIDI OUT doesn't function if it's USB is being used - which is not what the NP4 manual states. Any ideas?

Regards,
Stephen Randall
:thanx:
stephenrandall

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

NP4 MIDI THRU ISSUES

Sponsor

Re: NP4 MIDI THRU ISSUES

Postby pablomastodon » 22 May 2020, 15:47

Midi Out and Midi Thru are two different things. Some instruments may be designed to merge those two functions into one physical port, sometimes with a menu setting to switch the "thru" function on/off, but the NP4 cannot do this.

For reasons unknown, Nord does not seem to be fond of Midi Thru. Very few of their models were ever designed with a physical thru port and most do not provide thruput function via midi output

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum