Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby Supersaw » 18 May 2020, 08:06

Good morning
I have a minor problem with my Nord Wave 2 (fantastic instrument btw!) and I hope someone here can help me or at least can confirm what I experience:

I want to use the NW2 as master keyboard for my DAW, so I'd like to sometimes send notes to the DAW that are outside of the keyboards range (e.g. for triggering drum samples). In order to do that, I would normally use the octave shift buttons of a keyboard.

In the Nord Wave 2, I have set the octave shift to global, but it still doesnt work! The only way I got it to work is when I set the global channel to 0 in the midi/systems menu and define a channel for each layer separatly (which seems to be stored in the patch), and then set the octave shift to global. But this only works as long as I don't change a patch... Changing the patch means losing the setting of the global octave shift and also the channel definitions for the layer, but the setting of the 'global channel 0' stays. So the synth doesn't send any octave shifted notes to the DAW.

Thank you for any help!
Cheers!
Supersaw
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 May 2020, 07:46
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard


Sponsor
 

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby maxpiano » 18 May 2020, 14:02

Hi and welcome to NUF, why don't you apply a MIDI Transpose plugin/setting at the DAW, to overcome the problem? At least, that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 May 2020, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Supersaw
User avatar
maxpiano
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 13:29
Location: Italy
Country: Italy
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 1225 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby DJKeys » 18 May 2020, 16:37

Have you tried changing the Midi System setting to Transpose at Midi out? I am not sure that would apply to octave shift, but worth a try.

From the Manual:

5 - TRANSPOSE MIDI AT
When set to In, any active transpose value (global and/or set per program)
will not be applied to the outgoing MIDI stream, but only to incoming
MIDI data. If set to Out, any active transpose value will affect sent
MIDI notes but not incoming ones.
Range: In (Default), Out

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave2
Nord Lead A1


The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Supersaw
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: California
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 449 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby Supersaw » 18 May 2020, 21:31

maxpiano wrote:Hi and welcome to NUF, why don't you apply a MIDI Transpose plugin/setting at the DAW, to overcome the problem? At least, that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.


Thank you! I could absolutely do that, but I preferred to use the hardware buttons if possible...
Best regards
Supersaw
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 May 2020, 07:46
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby Supersaw » 18 May 2020, 21:32

DJKeys wrote:Have you tried changing the Midi System setting to Transpose at Midi out? I am not sure that would apply to octave shift, but worth a try.

From the Manual:

5 - TRANSPOSE MIDI AT
When set to In, any active transpose value (global and/or set per program)
will not be applied to the outgoing MIDI stream, but only to incoming
MIDI data. If set to Out, any active transpose value will affect sent
MIDI notes but not incoming ones.
Range: In (Default), Out

-dj


Thanks a lot for your reply! I did that, and it worked for the semitone transpose function, but not for the octave shift function...
Best regards
Supersaw
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 May 2020, 07:46
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby DJKeys » 18 May 2020, 21:50

Have you tried using the DIN midi out into your audio interface instead of USB? It seems like this should work. I am using my A1 as a controller and can access any octave of my DAW using the Global octave shift. Maybe this should be reported to tech support-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 18 May 2020, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave2
Nord Lead A1


The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Supersaw
User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: California
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 449 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby Supersaw » 19 May 2020, 16:11

DJKeys wrote:Have you tried using the DIN midi out into your audio interface instead of USB? It seems like this should work. I am using my A1 as a controller and can access any octave of my DAW using the Global octave shift. Maybe this should be reported to tech support-

-dj


Hi DjKeys
Thanks for the input. I've just tried this but unfortunately the DIN Midi acts the same way as the USB midi...
Supersaw
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 May 2020, 07:46
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby DJKeys » 19 May 2020, 16:48

Hi, SS-

I would report this to Nord Tech Support. Seems like they could add it to the next update-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave2
Nord Lead A1

User avatar
DJKeys
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 17:11
Location: California
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 449 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: Nord Wave 2 as Master Keyboard

Postby Supersaw » 19 May 2020, 20:22

DJKeys wrote:Hi, SS-

I would report this to Nord Tech Support. Seems like they could add it to the next update-

-dj


Will do that! :thumbup:
Supersaw
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 May 2020, 07:46
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3


Return to Nord Wave Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests