All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Settings on QSC 10.2 with Stage 3

Postby cgrafx » 28 Mar 2020, 20:54

Bizscott wrote:Basically it would be nice to find a way to.play with/for my kids and bring out a decent, reasonable stereo sound without having to buy another k 10.2. I'm trying to get closer to the sound one hears in the demos....I recognize that these are done professionally but closer would be nice.

As previously stated, stereo requires two speakers (even if they are designed into the same box). However, you should still be able to get decent sound out of a single box, it just won't be stereo.

A DI will not help with this. You can certainly plug both the LEFT and RIGHT outputs into your K10 and mix the two channels and it may or may not improve what you hear, but it will NOT give you a stereo image.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby LeftyBass68 » 28 Mar 2020, 20:58

The Radial stereo Duplex J48 DI is expensive,so is the Nord.The 'mono' J48 will merge two signals better than anything else I've used.Radial owns Jensen Transformers.
Radial offshore knockoffs are built to spec for the PRO series,less expensive with essentially the same sound as the J48's.
I use a stereo Pro-DI for pianos all the time,sounds every bit as good as the J48.I have both,no difference to my ears.
Run two 1/4" cables to the inputs of the DI's and 'thru' them to the powered speaker inputs.I keep my cable runs on multi's.You're looking at 4 instrument cables and 2 XLR's at gigs,as little as two 1/4" cables at home then,or at a performance not requiring more 'audio' than the speaker itself.It's all 'scalable'!

Given the choice of a chain thru DI function from a powered speaker and a Radial DI for FOH? I'll take the Radial.
Usually I find limited room to place stereo speakers,will try a 10" QSC,and an 8" QSC,with and without subs for a 'larger' setup.Staying with the Meyer UPM-1P's and a 12" 'studio' sub for now.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Bizscott » 31 Mar 2020, 15:50

So it sounds like a DI box will get rid of some of the noise through the connections and cabling.

It has taken me a couple days to ruminate over this stuff and research further, and from what I have found on the web, most of the video content explains that a DI box converts impedance from hi to low and converts an unbalanced signal to balanced. Unfortunately, the information I have found includes reference to these concepts without the background information as to what they mean in real terms of affecting the sound quality.

What I still don't get, and forgive me if this has been answered a bajillion times already, is:

Impedance
What is impedance and what is its effect on sound?
How does switching something from Hi Z to Low Z impedance improve sound quality?
How do I know that the less than ideal sound I am getting is due to an impedance issue?

Balanced vs Unbalanced

What does this mean wrt sound quality?
How does switching from unbalanced to balanced improve sound quality?
How do I know that the less than ideal sound quality is due to a balance issue?

"You should get one" doesn't really help if I don't know what problem it is supposed to be solving, sort of thing. It seems like a bit of a crap shoot to say it might help, or it might not....
Bizscott

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cgrafx » 31 Mar 2020, 18:14

Bizscott wrote:It has taken me a couple days to ruminate over this stuff and research further, and from what I have found on the web, most of the video content explains that a DI box converts impedance from hi to low and converts an unbalanced signal to balanced. Unfortunately, the information I have found includes reference to these concepts without the background information as to what they mean in real terms of affecting the sound quality.

For the purposes of your usage and this discussion a DI box has ZERO effect on the sound. It is simply a translation box to change the way one device is connected to another device.

simplest example. you have to plug your keyboard into a mixing console traditionally used in a studio or live sound application. The inputs on the mixing console are balanced XLR microphone inputs and your keyboard is unbalanced 1/4inch. In order to make that connection you need a DI box to change the 1/4" unbalanced signal into a low-impedance balanced XLR connection that can be plugged into the mixing console.

Balanced signals have the added benefit of reducing susceptibility to external noise sources getting into the physical wire when using LONG cable runs.

None of these issues are relevant to your application sitting at home playing through your K speaker.

There should be no difference in sound if you plug your Nord into the K speaker with a 1/4" cable or through DI box connected with an XLR cable. It will just be extra wiring that serves no purpose.

Now if your playing out and have to connect to a 3rd party sound system, it could be useful to have your own good quality DI box handy so you won't be dependent on the sound guy having a DI box.

DI boxes are intended NOT to affect the sound quality, only to translate from one electrical connection type to another.
Last edited by cgrafx on 31 Mar 2020, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
DJKeys
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Bizscott » 31 Mar 2020, 18:20

cgrafx wrote:
Bizscott wrote:It has taken me a couple days to ruminate over this stuff and research further, and from what I have found on the web, most of the video content explains that a DI box converts impedance from hi to low and converts an unbalanced signal to balanced. Unfortunately, the information I have found includes reference to these concepts without the background information as to what they mean in real terms of affecting the sound quality.

For the purposes of your usage and this discussion a DI box has ZERO effect on the sound. It is simply a translation box to change the way one device is connected to another device.

simplest example. you have to plug your keyboard into a mixing console traditionally used in a studio or live sound application. The inputs on the mixing console are balanced XLR microphone inputs and your keyboard is unbalanced 1/4inch. In order to make that connection you need a DI box to change the 1/4" unbalanced signal into a low-impedance balanced XLR connection that can be plugged into the mixing console.

Balanced signals have the added benefit of reducing susceptibility to external noise sources getting into the physical wire when using LONG cable runs.

None of these issues are relevant to your application sitting at home playing through your K speaker.

DI boxes are intended NOT to affect the sound quality, only to translate from one electrical connection type to another.

Okay, thanks for that. That is kind of what I suspected...I can't for the life of me understand why that was the solution proposed by several folks....
Bizscott

Postby Bo_bo » 31 Mar 2020, 19:45

I have been using a single QSC10 cabinet with my Electro 5 for several years and have had no problem with low end.
I bought the QSC10 after playing a large outdoor festival that was using them as stage monitor cabinets and I was impressed with the sound.
Usually the FOH will use the direct XLR line-out on the QSC, and I agree that using both L/R lines from the K's into the QSC works well.

The author Bo_bo was thanked by:
Bizscott
Bo_bo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby DougB217 » 05 Apr 2020, 16:02

I ordered a pair of the K10.2s to use as stage monitors, they should get here this week. I’ve had a stereo amp setup for 18 years and can’t go back to mono. Well, if I was a playing a Wurly it would be okay, but that’s about it. Would love a Meyer rig, I got spoiled when I lived in the SF Bay Area and had regular access to them.
DougB217

Postby DougB217 » 08 Apr 2020, 20:36

I got my K10.2s yesterday, put them on stands, connected them to the TM16 mixer and left it at default / no sub. Now of course this is obvious, but they blow away my old Behringer B212 monitors in every way. The bass is SO much deeper! They aren’t Meyers, but my wallet thanks me profusely and my ears aren’t that fussy anyway. I’ve got a lot of testing to do with both my NS3C and my guitar rig, luckily there’s plenty of time to do just that.

The author DougB217 was thanked by:
Bizscott
DougB217

Postby LeftyBass68 » 10 Apr 2020, 19:25

Glad you like your QSC speakers.If I need bass from a floor wedge this old Yorkville NX55P 12" will still do that no problem.
RCF make great drivers,this one works like new and is ten years old.
One bassist I work with has a big 'QSC' Quilter,and more than one guitarist I work with uses Quilter as well.Nice stuff!

Two way monitors always have an octave at crossover point where phase coherency is an issue,even a Meyer UPA uses processing.UPM's are 2 1/2 way,passive/electronic!
By separating the bass frequencies the little UPM'-1P's dial in the mid octaves in phase easily.And they weigh 22 pounds each.
Theatre had a refit that allowed a super deal on them,couldn't turn down 3@500 CA? Replaced a 5" driver,had been dropped? 200W with a 2" voice coil on a 5"?
One tweeter had issues,cleaned the gap,1.5K cleared right up.Nicest sounding 1" horn I've heard.Left,center,and right with a small sub,all in for less than 1K CA.

One way to get a pair of Stage 3 outs to a single input? The Radial J48 DI sums two mono inputs.Allows both signals to be heard from a mono source.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Bizscott » 14 May 2020, 23:19

A bit of an update- I ended up buying a second QSC K10.2. Speaker. It sounds remarkably better. They aren't in a great location in my house so that is something I have to play with. Not a cheap fix but the stereo.sound imprives the pianos significantly.
Bizscott

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification