General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3 Midi change program

Postby ticcc » 06 May 2020, 19:29

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, this is my first topic. Hope I've posted in the right place!

I have a problem with my nord stage 3, here the set up:
The nord stage 3 is connected with 2 midi cables (in and out) to my sound card and the sound card is connected to the computer.

I have imported a midi clip (that I've made on muse score) on Ableton.
The problem is: as I press play on the midi clip, the nord stage automatically goes to the program b:43, then starts playing the notes of the midi clip.

This is really annoying as I would like to use another sound that I've created on the Nord.
I also noticed that when the clip is playing if I activate the effects of the nord (like reverb) the lights don't switch on. I can only read "reverb on" in the main screen.

I already tried to switch off the program change mode and the control change. nothing happened..

waiting for news, thanks !!
Last edited by ticcc on 06 May 2020, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
ticcc

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3 Midi change program

Sponsor

Re: NS3 Midi change program

Postby baekgaard » 06 May 2020, 20:29

Welcome to NUF!

First, either your MIDI file contain some program change settings that, when sent, changes the program on the Nord, or you've somehow assigned a specific program that Ableton sends when you press play. Clean that up first. I unfortunately don't use Ableton so I cannot offer any hints as to how.

Next, you are in local off mode on your Nord, which is the correct mode for this setup in many cases. But it means your settings changes don't perform a change, but merely sends the corresponding MIDI command to Ableton. Ableton needs to send this back to you Nord, and if not setup correctly, it won't do so. Same applies for playing the keys on the Nord - it won't sound unless Ableton echos the playing.

So both problems can be fixed in Ableton. Time to read the manual, the help section, or see some tutorials :-)
Last edited by baekgaard on 06 May 2020, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
ticcc
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS3 Midi change program

Postby ticcc » 07 May 2020, 02:52

thanks for your reply :)

As you suggested I found the solution of the first problem on Ableton, in the midi clip menĂ¹.

Your tip about the local off is gold, I didn't know about that.

Big thank you, problem solved!

The author ticcc was thanked by:
baekgaard
ticcc

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum