This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Which would you buy for these prices?

Postby anotherscott » 24 Apr 2020, 00:40

Interesting question as to whether Spacestation's ability to create an enveloping sound out of a single box works well outdoors, when there are no walls to provide the various reflective surfaces that impact the sound. I don't know how well that would work.

Regardless, if you also need to handle vocals, that would be another knock against the Spacestation, since it has only a single input (no mic input), so now you have to add a mixer, too. Also, to whatever extent you CAN take advantage of the Spacestation's ability to throw sound everywhere, I suspect that it might not be the easiest to manage when trying to avoid mic feedback, where directionality in your playback system is your friend.

If you want something light, the EV ZXa1 is 19 lbs and has 2 inputs (including a mic preamp). Also, though I haven't heard it, I might look at the Bose S1 Pro, with its battery power being a possible convenience for busking even though you'll need AC for the Nord regardless.
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby wowjustdoit » 24 Apr 2020, 00:55

Sorry for the double post. The speaker I saw on Sweetwater earlier was the Spacestation XL. It's twice the weight of the V3. The V3 is only 33lbs, which ain't bad at all. I see you're a pretty active and well respected member here on the forum so....

....so to conclude, the Spacestation V3 is a better choice than any highly portable stereo system? 900$ ain't bad either. My Yorkville was close to that. If that is what you recommend, I'll probably go for it!
wowjustdoit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby anotherscott » 24 Apr 2020, 14:38

wowjustdoit wrote:....so to conclude, the Spacestation V3 is a better choice than any highly portable stereo system?

As I said in the post directly above yours, I'm skeptical that the Spacestation is the best choice for you. Besides what I mentioned there, its sound quality for acoustic piano is one of its weaker points. Also, at the top, you said "I have a Yorkville E10P speaker, but I am thinking about trading it in for something else that has two separate line input gain controls" - the Spacestation does not have two separate line input gain controls either (though I'm not sure what you need that for).
anotherscott

Postby cphollis » 24 Apr 2020, 18:58

Just to clarify, I use the SSv3 outdoors, and -- yes -- the stereo function works just great, simply use an amp stand to point the side-firing speaker at the floor, and you're in business. It's a remarkably even, lush sound from different listening positions as well, something you won't get with your Yorkville or similar. You say you aren't doing any organ, but -- when you do -- you'll realize the stereo Leslie effect is killer with units like these.

It only has a pair of stereo inputs, so -- yeah -- you'll want a tiny mixer for your vocals. Or maybe figure out a way to use the monitor input jack on the Electro. As @anotherscott points out, pristine AP sounds aren't what the SSv3 is known for, but I find the AP reproduction adequate in context. If you go that way, don't buy new, there are good ones on reverb.com for $500-$700. I use mine for gigs where I want minimum schlep but maximum coverage and dispersion.

The other one to look at (as I think I mentioned before) is the Bose L1 Compact or similar. You'd have enough inputs, and dispersion would be pretty good. The typical price of $999 I think is seriously overstated, so buy used if you can. The Bose L1 Compact travels as two very light pieces: a plastic column and a base unit. It does not get loud, and if you had a larger crowd it wouldn't be enough, but for smaller groups outdoors I think it would be just fine. Other manufacturers make similar products, I just haven't used them.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby wowjustdoit » 24 Apr 2020, 19:08

Well I just found a SpaceStation XL on Ebay for $1000 (and its brand new!) Looks like its coming from Sweetwater. I guess this is where my stimulus check is going :/. I really hope the Electro6 is still available when I get back to the city.. If I like that action, I feel like the combo with the Electro6 and Space Station will cover about anything I need to do...And I could just throw the Electro on my back...and lug that SpaceStation monster around like a little mini fridge. But the electro is also an extra $600. So maybe I'll just keep Piano3 and if I don't love it... I should be able to sell it for just as much as it cost me. SpaceStation has free return policy too. So if I don't like it I'll just have to eat the $120 shipping charges.

The reason I want two line inputs is that I don't have to worry about bringing a mixer. I know it sounds a ridiculous because I can just throw it in my gig back... but its just one extra thing I have to worry about. The SpaceStation XL has two inputs and a direct mono output. So in theory, I could toss my Yorkville on top of it and link the two. But I doubt I'll ever need to be that loud... but its an idea. I'll probably keep the Yorkville and use it as a monitor or lend it to my jamming friends. It sounds quite clear, its just a little metallic on the acoustic piano sounds.

Edit: It seems every time I am in the middle of writing a post, someone else posts... Thus I don't have a chance to read what was said before me. This happened on my last two posts. But cphollis, what are your thoughts on the XL? Have you ever used it?
Last edited by wowjustdoit on 24 Apr 2020, 19:13, edited 4 times in total.
wowjustdoit

Postby cphollis » 24 Apr 2020, 22:30

Bear with me here, @wowjustdoit -- this is NOT the way you want to go.

All the SpaceStations function on the same principle -- they expect two channels of stereo input, each stereo channel with essentially the same signal, only with slightly different content. That's how stereo works.

The main "front" speaker sums the X+Y signals, much like you'd get by plugging both channels of your stereo Nord into a mixer or similar.

The magic happens on the side speakers. Special circuitry creates the X-Y difference of the two signals, and sends it out at 90 degrees but in-phase with the X+Y signal. When the two wavefronts meet, they create the illusion of stereo sound, much like with M+S recording. So you get this surreal effect of near-perfect stereo sound no matter where you are listening from. Nothing else quite like it.

By presenting two very different inputs on the SpaceStation, you defeat this feature. Let's say you put mono keys through one channel, and vocals through the other. You'd get a summed version of both up front, but no way to control the level of each. And I have no idea what would come out of the side speakers, if anything. Probably random gibberish. Definitely NOT the way to go.

If you want a PA unit with multiple inputs to avoid the mixer, you need to go in a different direction. If you want rich stereo sound from a single amp and are willing to live with a small mixer, you can go in the SpaceStation direction.

I have not used the SS XL but looked at it very closely when it came out, as I was already a fan of its little brother. The people who bought them said it was just like the SSv3 only bigger, heavier and brawnier. When I need those things, I fall back to a pair of PA speakers, so I knew it wasn't for me.

The units that I think would work well in your situation are the newer breed of "small line array" on top, and an integrated sub/mixer below.

Here's an example -- the Electro-Voice Evolve 30M. It's more than you need, but notice (a) the wide 120 degree dispersion angle and (b) a full mixer section. Very similar to the RCF EVOX JMIX8 -- which I do own and think very highly of. Or the new Yamaha STAGEPAS 1K which has effects and an integrated app. With all the units in this class, even with a single amp you will be heard by all.

Hope this helps ...

EDIT: for the definitive source on the Spacestation tech, and the colorful story of its creator Aspen Pittman, head over to The Keyboard Corner and start searching. There's a mega-thread on it if you go looking.
Last edited by cphollis on 24 Apr 2020, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby wowjustdoit » 24 Apr 2020, 23:26

The XL comes with two-stereo inputs (so a total of four inputs) each with separate gain. Let me walk you through what I am thinking. I actually looked at that StagePas 1K. I'd like to get it!

Here is what I am thinking.

So I will run a L+R signal out of Nord directly into the SXL channel 1 stereo. That is easy. Here is where it gets a little complicated.

Dynamic Mic > TH-Helicon Mic Mechanic (for reverb) > Switchcraft SC600 (passive analog splitter) > L+R signal into SXL

This is what I will use when I am doing a solo gig. I think this gives me the most options and should really cook (I don't think its little brother would be loud enough for me). With this setup, I will also have the option to put Stereo effects on my keyboard. I think the SXL will be an extremely versatile tool (although a heavy one). I can use it with the band, too. And just run vocals through the PA.

This all depends on if I like the sound of the SXL. I am going to wait on buying the pedal and splitter until I test this baby out. Do all cables have to be TRS? I'm a little confused on this part.

One thing I don't understand is... it is rated at 116db. That's it?? I have to imagine this thing screams. My Yorkville is rated at 129db with a 10" woofer. Unless they are measuring outputs at a different source. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3avVsv_Nl3E (video that says rated at 116db)

EDIT: I also live in a small studio apartment so I don't have the room to store a bunch of different gear. I need something that can do it all and hopefully the SXL fits the bill.
Last edited by wowjustdoit on 24 Apr 2020, 23:31, edited 5 times in total.
wowjustdoit

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum