Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series (Nord Electro, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5 D/HP/SW versions)
Forum rules
Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series : NE, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5.
When creating a new topic, it's good to add a prefix in you title that mention one of these Electro version,
e.g., [NE4]: Program for Van Halen - Jump

Re: Need Electro 5 piano sound - classic rock

Postby analogika » 27 Mar 2020, 17:54

I like to listen to live recordings to see how they did it given the limitations of a live setup, but I’ll use the studio recording as a reference most times, because a) that’s what the paying audience will be most familiar with, and b) the limitations involved in live performances in, say, the 1970s may not apply as much today.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby alex78 » 27 Mar 2020, 18:09

Some old musicians would be very happy to have all those advantages we have, back in their days. A song that needed 3 or more keyboards to be delivered properly, can now be done with just a single board and that is awesome. It's very important however to deliver the overall feeling of the song, not only the sound of it, like you try to tell a story with your own words. That's why musicians are considered to be artists, otherwise they would be just skilled operators of a machine.

The author alex78 was thanked by:
Schorsch
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby AndyG1955 » 27 Mar 2020, 23:03

To be honest what matters most when you play that number is get a great shuffle feel. When my band did it in the 70's the main portable pianos available were Wurlitzer or Rhodes. We had a Wurly and the sound had so much growl a bit like a rocky guitar it sounded exiting. When I heard the record I used to think it sounded a bit lame in comparison. When I use any of the Nord Acoustic pianos I find them a little pure for rock - I know many Nord fans would disagree, fine - but don't torture yourself too much over it if you're not that enthusiastic - try the un-amped Wurly, or even a Rhodes - I like the Nefertiti - that can growl a bit too! Yes it could be deemed 'wrong' , but if I was going to do Don't Stop live these days with my Electro 5 I might have to go with that route. In moment the audience responds to the performance vibe, more than being picky about the authenticity of the piano sample. If you you do get a great acoustic piano though, please let me know
AndyG1955

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby alexmarinojR » 05 Jun 2020, 20:59

I also play mostly rock and to cut through I use a bright sound. Bright grand is one option of course , though it's never been my favourite , so I use the Silver Grand which I like. It's personal taste so just try it. also compression/amp and stuff can make it more to your taste orlike others said an Electric piano might do , too.
Specifically for Don't Stop I use a little bit of a bell like sound ' 80s Balladbal RedLib SML sample ' with the Silver Grand/Grand Imperial/ or even the new White Grand which is amazing. By chance it sounds truthful to the original if you listen closely also has a bit of phaser on the synth part for color which I also add and it works for many songs. Like a bright piano boosted subtly with short pad/bell like sound on top of it.
alexmarinojR

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby alex78 » 05 Jun 2020, 21:40

I absolutely agree about the silver grand. I have found others that I like when I play alone on my headphones but with the band the silver is the one that works best for me. I also use some compression, a very small amount of chorus and some reverb depending on the song. Also do not underestimate the uprights, they can also sound good especially when playing rhythm parts.
Last edited by alex78 on 05 Jun 2020, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Programs