This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Output volume of imported sample

Postby maestrosteve » 26 Mar 2020, 22:45

Last night, I finally decided to record some of my sounds/samples from a few different older Kurzweil keyboards into Logic Pro, and then use the Nord Sample Editor version 3 to get those sounds into my Nord Electro 6. Of course today they updated the Version 3 software and I’ll be using and trying that out tonight to see how different it behaves, but I do have a question in case someone might have an answer.

Some of the sounds I imported, although they appear to be recorded at correct levels, and then normalized, still have a lower than I’d want volume output with the sample volume control turned all the way up. They sound great, just lower in volume. Not a lot lower, but lower in volume than other patches. Again, they were normalized, as a group.

Aside from maybe normalizing each individual note, or doing some editing where I lower the peaks of some of the sounds and then normalize to get a higher output level, can you think of any way to increase the output level? That kind of editing is probably not a good idea and sure to change the character of the sound.

Steve
maestrosteve

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Output volume of imported sample

Sponsor

Re: Output volume of imported sample

Postby Normski » 27 Mar 2020, 12:15

Maybe also try normalising while its still in Logic. Before transfering to the sample editor.
This has worked for me. A touch of compresion may also help.

The author Normski was thanked by:
maestrosteve
Normski
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Schorsch » 27 Mar 2020, 12:18

Yes, please try to normalize the source wave files (if not done so already), please let us know if this has improved the volume
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
maestrosteve
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maestrosteve » 27 Mar 2020, 19:32

Thanks to the above people for responding. I did mentioned that I normalize the files (didn't say that I did it while still in Logic, but I did) before bouncing them to .wav files. I even opened them in other audio editing programs where I felt I could get a better look at them and the samples were as hot as they could be.
I'll tell you what did work for me because it might help someone in the future. I had not previously used the Nord sample editing software until version 3, so I don't know how this may have worked before, but now I see an option in the sample editing program to increase the output volume. On the lower right of the screen, it says "Level" with a plus and minus sign, where you can decrease or increase the level up to 6db. I don't know if it was always there and I just never noticed it, but I did notice it last night, and that was what fixed my levels, even after I had them as hot as they could be without going into the red.

Thanks again to Normski and Schorsch for responding.

Steve

The author maestrosteve was thanked by:
Schorsch
maestrosteve

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to General Nord Forum