Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: EQ Settings!

Postby PScooter63 » 26 Mar 2020, 05:21

Nordmutt2, have you sat down with your instrument and swept through all the EQ bands, alone and in combination, to HEAR what effect each control has on your sound, through your PA? That's one of the first things I did when I got my Nord, for at least an hour - because how else am I going to "learn" my instrument, unless I dig into it for myself, with my own ears?

When composing a patch for a specific cover song, say Journey's "Who's Cryin' Now", it'll take me at least 10-15 minutes of tweaking, including EQ, starting from scratch, to get it where I think it needs to be. I'm stubborn that way, unless my back's against the wall and I'm out of time (rare). Every time I go through that exercise for a new song, it reinforces my "learning" my instrument, getting to know how it reacts, etc. That makes me a better programmer... for myself.

So, yeah, the practical examples in this thread are a possible starting place, depending on where you want to go. But ultimately, you've got to make it your own, just like those contributors already have... and the ones you decried.

These aren't cake recipes, after all, this is terribly variable - and personal - science.
Last edited by PScooter63 on 26 Mar 2020, 05:23, edited 2 times in total.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

EQ settings

Postby Elias » 26 Mar 2020, 08:58

I only play in a band live, hardly ever record anything. I use EQ overall to just get the sounds balanced and working with each other. If I'm playing a solo part and want to be heard over the band, probably will throw some treble and high mids up (or actually just play B3 instead of piano, cause its fun). If the amplification is muddy (or something else) and my sound needs compensation, thats normally done on the mixing desk.

Ps. I know that sharing specific EQ settings is not productive, but does it need to be? I'm not a forum-police and do not want to be one, but not every thread has to be productive. Let a man, woman (or anything in between and beyond ) ask about EQ settings. If they think its fun, then whatever. I know that nobody here intends to be disrespectful, but come on. Someone asks something "useless", the earth is still spinning. Don't log in if you dont want to be here. Rather go listen to this instead.
Sorry, just had to... :keyboard2: :thumbup:
Last edited by Elias on 26 Mar 2020, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.

The author Elias was thanked by 2 members, including:
Nordmutt2CountFosco
Elias

Postby CountFosco » 26 Mar 2020, 09:05

cgrafx wrote:There is ALMOST ZERO functional reason to be messing with the eq settings constantly.

I agree with this. This seems like an area where people feel they need to have a strong opinion or demonstrate their deep use of their instrument. I don't really have a strong opinion, but my experience is that I find EQ quite useful for mixing and mastering recordings, but I use my DAW for that. In the rehearsal studios for my bands, I have my channels set up on the desks using the EQ settings there, which I haven't even thought to mess with since getting them right. I don't even know how, when you're on stage, you can have any idea about the appropriate EQ for your part of the mix for front of house. And I can imagine it being counterproductive to change your own EQ if there is a sound engineer also doing that.

Addendum: I have some EP programs where I've messed with the Electro's EQ do get that sound I'm chasing. I've never felt the need to mess with APs.
Last edited by CountFosco on 26 Mar 2020, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
Nordmutt2
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby lawman » 26 Mar 2020, 10:50

Keeping all of the above comments in mind, it might nevertheless be instructive to look through the EQ settings (including FREQ) that Nord chose to include in its 200 NG factory program presets (for both Piano and Sample Synth). I trudged through them and posted them on 09/02/2019. Here's the link: nord-piano-grand-forum-f10/nord-grand-factory-presets-t18271.html Some of you might think me a grandstander, as I have posted this chart before. However, I spent so much time formatting and compiling this baby I want to make sure it's used for all its worth.
Last edited by Johannes on 26 Mar 2020, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

The author lawman was thanked by 3 members, including:
SchorschNordmutt2Elias
lawman

Postby Berretje » 26 Mar 2020, 13:33

Nordmutt2 wrote:If this topic does not interest you, then why do you feel the need to comment?

Hi Nordmutt and others,

Since I felt that this topic began to get a differen twist (correct me if I'm wrong), I decided to reply.

I don't think this has to do with a person's interest. Because I firmly believe that we are all interested in one way or another (one topic more than another one).
Interpreting a question or answer remains difficult if it is only done in writing and that will always be the case on a forum.

I am convinced that CPhollis does not mean this wrong at all, but rather tries to find out what exactly is the idea behind this question.

Anyway, let's try to give each other space to ask initial questions, but we should also be able to ask the topicstarter questions in order to get a better view of the subject.
Eventually we are here to help eachother out!

You all are amazing people who "make" this forum of what it is at this moment.

Please play kind, stay healthy and safe.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper

The author Berretje was thanked by 5 members, including:
EliasPScooter63Nordmutt2SnigelSchorsch
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Nordmutt2 » 26 Mar 2020, 17:09

lawman wrote:Keeping all of the above comments in mind, it might nevertheless be instructive to look through the EQ settings (including FREQ) that Nord chose to include in its 200 NG factory program presets (for both Piano and Sample Synth). I trudged through them and posted them on 09/02/2019. Here's the link: nord-piano-grand-forum-f10/nord-grand-factory-presets-t18271.html Some of you might think me a grandstander, as I have posted this chart before. However, I spent so much time formatting and compiling this baby I want to make sure it's used for all its worth.

Great work Lawman! Thanks - I downloaded your chart. I wish Nord Manager could automatically show all these settings.
Nordmutt2

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum