Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Nord Wave 2 early owners - how's the MIDI out?

Postby artofmoog » 23 Mar 2020, 19:52

timspiek wrote:As far as I've find out, it sends midi via 1 global midi send channel (channel can be changed), but the is no split for the different layers. For midi-in its different, the layers can be controlled via 4 different midi channels, or one global channel (tested). See also attachment, which contain photographed parts about midi from the users manual.

Really appreciate you posting the manual shots. It doesn’t seem to do what I hoped, but maybe I can work around... Looks a lovely synth overall.
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Sponsor

Postby timspiek » 23 Mar 2020, 21:37

You're welcome! :thumbup:
timspiek

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby timspiek » 23 Mar 2020, 22:02

Romanwave wrote:How are flexible FM and wavetable engines? Do you miss seamless transitions?

It looks like there is something as "seamless transitions" on board (or maybe it's the same, I have no experience on the Nord Stage 3, so I can't compare).
When playing with the synth I stumbled to the "width" function in the keyboard split function.
With this function you can set a "crossover" width: 1= no crossover, 6= six notes crossover, 12= twelve semitones. The sound fades the further you get away from the splitting point.
Again, see attachment, this time the section about layer control.
Attachments
Nord_Wave_2_Layer control.pdf
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
timspiek

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby artofmoog » 24 Mar 2020, 13:56

Re seamless transitions (and at risk of going a bit off-topic), it was always possible on the A1 in a limited way between different layers of a Performance. You could have layer A enabled, hold a chord (say), hit layer B button (which deselected A), and A wouldn’t be adversely affected by anything new in B. And so on for C and D. So if you could deal with your transition sounds being limited to groups of four programs, and stored them in a performance, it’s a solution. I’ll bet the Wave 2 does this too, albeit with better polyphony. No way of having seamless transitions between Performances though, I believe.
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Previous

Return to Nord Wave Forum