Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Any chance for Audio over USB with NL4 or NLA1 ?

Postby aymerfu » 29 Jan 2015, 17:05

Hello Norders ! First post, first question :

Are NL4 or NLA1 built in a way which could allow Audio over USB in a future firmware update ?
Gear like Elektron Analog Four or Analog Rytm will benefit from such a feature in a coming update, so I was wondering if nord engineers had this in mind ?

Thanks
aymerfu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Any chance for Audio over USB with NL4 or NLA1 ?

Sponsor

Re: Any chance for Audio over USB with NL4 or NLA1 ?

Postby Marlowes » 29 Jan 2015, 17:08

Salut Aymerfu!

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it. :|
If so, it would have been announced by now ... right, Kroffe?

/Amicalement
Michael in Scania
Last edited by Marlowes on 29 Jan 2015, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby audiounit » 31 Jan 2015, 08:28

From my personal experience you wouldn't want it, there would be a noticeable hit to sound quality. I can not record sounds over USB with the virus for this reason, the quality difference between OUT 1+2 and USB 1+2 is very noticeable. Its good for auditioning sounds but best practice is to record though the analog outs.

The only thing that would make this viable in my opinion is if the port was USB 3 or Thunderbolt.
audiounit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby barryfell » 03 Feb 2015, 21:06

audiounit wrote:From my personal experience you wouldn't want it, there would be a noticeable hit to sound quality. I can not record sounds over USB with the virus for this reason, the quality difference between OUT 1+2 and USB 1+2 is very noticeable. Its good for auditioning sounds but best practice is to record though the analog outs.

The only thing that would make this viable in my opinion is if the port was USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

The Virus is very old technology though, and uses USB1. Roland's Aira series offer USB audio and i've read there is no difference between it and the analog outputs. Also, Elektron are just about to launch Overbridge which will enable their analog synths and drum machines to stream audio via USB, and i'm sure the sound quality there will be up to scratch.

There is no issue with sound quality over USB2. Look at how many high end audio interfaces uses it from the likes of RME and Metric Halo.

That said, I can't see Clavia introducing digital audio output via USB for a good while yet. Maybe one for the Nord Lead 6? :D
Last edited by barryfell on 03 Feb 2015, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
barryfell

Postby audiounit » 05 Feb 2015, 04:50

Yeah maybe Nord 6 :P but I wouldn't count on them going in that direction. I think a big part of the problem is that the audio signal if it goes through a USB interface or outputted via some digital means is that its misses going through the AD DA converters and doesn't get coloured with that sound, especially if you have good ones. Essentially its just a external plug-in with no influence from any hardware. That being said it doesn't mean it wont sound awesome just different, for convenience sake its good but i do like the colour that brings :D
audiounit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Happy » 05 Feb 2015, 09:22

The Virus uses a TUSB3200A which has a digital audio (AC97) input, so likely the DSP digital outputs are connected to it, in that case no AD conversion from the DAC's out takes place.
The current Lead models seems not not have such an USB processor (at least not the G2 hardware where all other leads seems to be based on).
Would think an ADAT or SP/DIF out direct form the DSP's outs would be a better option to connect it to an audio card input and mix it from there to the DAW.
it's a bit embarrasing to see even the new Electro 5 does not have a digital out.
Last edited by Happy on 05 Feb 2015, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Happy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby aymerfu » 21 Mar 2020, 14:04

Thank you for your responses, take care !
aymerfu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum