Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: expression pedal?

Postby shmuelyosef » 10 Mar 2020, 00:10

I have several of the FC-7s...use them for synths as well as for my Electro. I like the fact that they come complete with hardware to bolt them together in a bank. In my studio I have a 2-level keyboard stand and four of the FC-7s that I can plug and play for whatever I need. I wish that I could also buy sustain pedals that bolt up (or else a triple sustain pedal with three independent outputs).

The author shmuelyosef was thanked by:
Dave Gallagher
shmuelyosef

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby twofarmers » 10 Mar 2020, 04:49

FC7 for me too. Tried the Moog EP3, but got static in the rheostat after about 6 months. I modified the FC7 by cutting the cable and routing it to a TRS jack mounted under the front of the pedal so I can use my TRS cable. Most of the failures are due to cable issues and this fixed the problem. Also, the rheostat is inexpensive and easily replaced.

The author twofarmers was thanked by:
Dave Gallagher
twofarmers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby PScooter63 » 10 Mar 2020, 06:20

We interrupt this Yamaha love-fest for a counterpoint (since none more seem to be forthcoming)...

I'm not in love with the FC7. If someone gifted me one, I'd pass it right along to someone else. You see, the long throw cuts both ways: it theoretically allows for a slightly more nuanced performance, but only if your ankle doesn't mind. Mine does.

Also, all cables eventually fail, and in this case the permanently-soldered end is particularly vulnerable. I lost patience with Yamaha's piano-style sustain pedals for the same reason. With all due respect to happy FC7 owners, I have better things to do with my time than nursemaid a cheap design.

As I've mentioned before, the Boss FV-500L has an ever-so-slightly-shorter throw than the FC7, and is far sturdier. It's also a multi-tasker: besides expression, it can function as a two-channel analog volume pedal in tandem with the expression feed.

It's also twice the price of an FC7... but if something happened to mine, I'd get another, or maybe spring for the Moog.

But back to the OP: try out as many different models as you can. Who knows, you might find you like something else entirely, like Mission Engineering's close-to-Nord-red expression pedal (even more $$ and heavy to the point of indestructability).
Last edited by PScooter63 on 10 Mar 2020, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by 3 members, including:
missoundscapeMaxxfieldDave Gallagher
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Tasten-Bert » 10 Mar 2020, 09:25

Another BOSS FV-500 lover here. I‘ve been using mine for more than 20 years, very solid, very reliable. Good standing on stage due to its weight! And I have a KORG XVP-20 now which seems to be as good as the BOSS. Advantage of both: use your individual cables. Keep rockin‘. Rainy regards from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by 2 members, including:
MaxxfieldDave Gallagher
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Dave Gallagher » 12 Mar 2020, 20:58

Thanks everyone for your input. I've only just logged in and was really pleased to see a whole bunch of replies. I wonder why Nord don't make their own? It's quite a simple piece of technology for a company that make sophisticated and complicated keyboards.

The author Dave Gallagher was thanked by:
Tasten-Bert
Dave Gallagher

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby Bjosko » 12 Mar 2020, 21:25

I guess it is cheaper for them to get the parts from other manufacturers and give it their own logo ( like the sustain pedal).
And possibly not worth the investment to produce it themselves.
You know, most part in a Nord are from third party companies, designed an assembled by Nord.
That’s how modern businesses are running today.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum