Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Re: Backup samples from Nord to Computer

Postby ericL » 08 Mar 2020, 18:36

I've done a lot of sound movement over the past decade mostly with NS2 units and more recently NS3 units. At one time, I had three different NS2 and now I have duplicate NS3 units. I spend some time up front getting them compatible in terms of what basic pianos/samples/etc. are loaded. Eventually they will be different as I use one mostly at rehearsals and learning songs while the other is on gigs (with the rehearsal board as backup). What I do when I need to sync up the sounds is I download all the Programs in the banks I'm using in one instrument and then upload them into the other instrument. I can go through them and the Sound Manager will give me a flag for "missing sample" or whatever it is and it just takes a moment to go and find that sample and upload it to the target instrument.

Bundles are helpful to save time from a full backup which is very time consuming (like 1-2 hours or more, if I remember correctly).

If I was trying to feel good about sounds for a backline rig, I'd probably do a combo of these things:

1) Save a full backup of my own instrument.
2) Save a bundle of my critical gig Programs.
3) Save just my gig Programs.
4) Ensure that my laptop has the needed samples on it.

Following the above sequence, a full backup could be loaded into the target backline instrument, with some risk of time or glitches (I've had some lack of success in the past unless things are just right). Bundles seem to be a bit less finicky in this sense. If neither of those work, then downloading Programs is quick and easy, then you'd just need to go and download any missing samples.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Schorsch » 08 Mar 2020, 19:07

Plasma Face wrote:
Schorsch wrote:You do this with the substitute function of Sound Manager

But this only replaces the original. How would I download one file from the samples, so I can rename it on my computer to then bring it back in?

You use sound manager for this, select the sample and download upload it to your computer- manuals/tutorials are your friends:

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by Schorsch on 08 Mar 2020, 19:56, edited 4 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Plasma Face » 08 Mar 2020, 19:27

Schorsch wrote:
Plasma Face wrote:
Schorsch wrote:You do this with the substitute function of Sound Manager

But this only replaces the original. How would I download one file from the samples, so I can rename it on my computer to then bring it back in?

You use sound manager for this, select the sample and download it to your computer- manuals/tutorials are your friends:

Watch on youtube.com

I understand this workflow but what I can't seem to find is a way to download a sample that is already in my nord and viewable on the nord sound manager and download that individual sample file from my nord to my computer
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 08 Mar 2020, 19:36

Plasma Face wrote:I understand this workflow but what I can't seem to find is a way to download a sample that is already in my nord and viewable on the nord sound manager and download that individual sample file from my nord to my computer

As explained in NSM manual the operation you want to do is called "Upload" (sounds a little counterintuitive but that's how it is...) so you just have to select that sample in NSM (Sample tab) then do a "Sound Upload".

PS: thanks for the info on sample renaming, apparently I didn't remember it right, too much time not loading new samples :)
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Mar 2020, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Schorsch » 08 Mar 2020, 19:57

Oh yes Max is right - it’s upload to get something from the Nord to the computer and download to get something from the computer to the Nord, corrected this in my previous post
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Postby PScooter63 » 08 Mar 2020, 20:43

As an English-speaking computer geek, I don't understand why Clavia continues to use download/upload.

"Backup" [to your computer] and "Load" [to your instrument] seem self-explanatory, for at least the past decade.

EDIT: Both sets are relative terms, agreed, but I'd argue that the latter are in more general common use across multiple software types and architectures.
Last edited by PScooter63 on 08 Mar 2020, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
Schorsch
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Plasma Face » 08 Mar 2020, 21:29

Amazing! Thanks for all the help, now to decide which samples to use as I have more samples than memory space :)
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Postby ericL » 08 Mar 2020, 21:54

Plasma Face wrote:Amazing! Thanks for all the help, now to decide which samples to use as I have more samples than memory space :)

It’s easy. Delete all the samples that show “unused” in Sound Manager. Works magic.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Previous

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)