General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Sustain pedal with pedal noise

Postby maxpiano » 23 Oct 2017, 09:09

Iconoclast wrote:I can guarantee you that the DS1H will make pedal noise. However it seems like it's only one volume and probably louder than I expected. Also the effective range of the pedal happens pretty deep into it's travel, something I'll have to get used to. Definitely an improvement over the included pedal but I've never played the triple pedal so I can't compare to that.

If you read the thread where the Triple Pedal was analyzed in depth and know a little bit of electronics it would be clear and obvious why DS1H (and other continuous sustain pedals) "kind of works", but not 100% as NTP basically because NTP changes its resistance in discrete steps, not continuously and it starts from an open circuit (infinite resistance) at rest.

The real solution (and best) would be if Nord would implement the support for standard continuous sustain pedals in the OS, but since this was never done for NS2 I doubt it will.

(I also wonder how much is pedal noise actually relevant in a band situation, but also in a solo, but that's a personal opinion, while electrical differences are facts.)
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Oct 2017, 09:13, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Murphy » 23 Oct 2017, 17:05

I just bought a DS1H and it makes convincing damper noise and the half-damper functions pretty well (need to be precise in order for this work). I think maxpiano's comment "(I also wonder how much is pedal noise actually relevant in a band situation, but also in a solo, but that's a personal opinion, while electrical differences are facts.)" is right. I am enjoying the damper noise for myself and perhaps for recording, but in any band situation -- even a quiet band -- it won't be all that useful. I don't really like the pedal all that much for normal sustain purposes, but I do like hearing the damper noise when I'm not playing too loud myself.
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby guentergunter » 03 Nov 2017, 19:50

I did some further research based on studies from maxpiano on the original Triple Pedal:

maxpiano wrote:Image

I have been able to produce the appropriate MIDI CC data matching the original Triple Pedal: See thread

With these values, the "pedal noise" feature is working perfectly via MIDI :thumbup:
Last edited by guentergunter on 16 Aug 2020, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.

The author guentergunter was thanked by:
woolybeard
guentergunter

Postby Pianolin » 27 Sep 2018, 10:57

Iconoclast wrote:I can guarantee you that the DS1H will make pedal noise. However it seems like it's only one volume and probably louder than I expected. Also the effective range of the pedal happens pretty deep into it's travel, something I'll have to get used to. Definitely an improvement over the included pedal but I've never played the triple pedal so I can't compare to that.

Would you have any idea if the electro 5 hp supports pedal noise if I use the DS1H? Or is it only the piano and stage?
Pianolin

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Leo Castro » 03 Oct 2018, 14:03

Only Nord Piano and Stage.
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby cki69 » 10 Oct 2018, 14:16

alcools wrote:I would like Nord selling a single Sustain pedal with pedal noise. I don't have the use of the other pedals include in the Nord Triple Pedal.

Is that just my own wish ? Do you wish a Single Sustain Nord Pedal With Pedal Noise ?

I'd like to ask the question to Nord, but if I am alone, no way.

I agree, they give a pedal to their flagship keyboard and it cannot handle this - a bit weird... With my CP5 I also got a pedal - with half damper function as the keyboard supports this. So it should not be a problem to produce a pedal which supports the features of the Stage and include this with the keyboard.

Best regards
Carsten
cki69

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Lumserei » 29 Jan 2020, 13:37

To figure out which resistance values the Nord wants to get the desired function a Roland EV5 controller can be connected instead of the sustain pedal it will be recognized as a triple one. e.g. a Korg DS1H can be internally tuned to give exact this resistance values for suitable half pedaling.
Best values are 14 to 18K idle and 250 ... 350R fully depressed. (Resistance Stereo Jack Tip to Sleeve)
Lumserei

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby maxpiano » 29 Jan 2020, 15:51

Lumserei wrote:To figure out which resistance values the Nord wants to get the desired function a Roland EV5 controller can be connected instead of the sustain pedal it will be recognized as a triple one. e.g. a Korg DS1H can be internally tuned to give exact this resistance values for suitable half pedaling.
Best values are 14 to 18K idle and 250 ... 350R fully depressed. (Resistance Stereo Jack Tip to Sleeve)

There is no need to try and guess, we analyzed the Triple pedal in this thread post123625.html and you cannot emulate it properly just with a pot.... (repeating what I already wrote at the top of this page)
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Jan 2020, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Lumserei » 30 Jan 2020, 16:40

maxpiano wrote:
Lumserei wrote:To figure out which resistance values the Nord wants to get the desired function a Roland EV5 controller can be connected instead of the sustain pedal it will be recognized as a triple one. e.g. a Korg DS1H can be internally tuned to give exact this resistance values for suitable half pedaling.

There is no need to try and guess, we analyzed the Triple pedal in this thread post123625.html and you cannot emulate it properly just with a pot.... (repeating what I already wrote at the top of this page)

I´m using both but for me the triple pedal is too big and sensitive to use it live on stage so I tried with the mentioned values to tune the Korg one to get the most similar sustain feeling (not identical) to the triple one. Idle has to be as close as possible to the 10K but not too close otherwise the Nord doesn´t accept it anymore as a triple pedal (cause idle is expected to be infinite).
There is no single pedal available that simulates 4 sequential switches between 820R to 10K so the Korg is currently the only alternative.
Lumserei

Postby Lumserei » 26 Feb 2020, 19:52

The current Firmware of NS3 (2.52) seems to be more tolerant to the lowest resistance value of a triple pedal, the original Nord outputs 5 fixed steps: inf, 10K, 3K2, 1K3 and 520R
With the previous V2.2x values close to 500R were required, and now, as soon as there is something below 1K a fully depressed pedal is detected.
After that, the Korg DS1 H works quite good out of the box without tuning.

The author Lumserei was thanked by:
dmamfmgm
Lumserei

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum