Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Grand Action Inconsistencies and Extra Noise?

Postby OnaZz » 23 Feb 2020, 22:07

Hi All,

I purchased a Nord Grand back in Fall 2019. This is my first Nord instrument ever (previously used Yamahas). I ended up sending my first unit back because it developed a noisy action in the mid-range. The keyboard itself was making a lot of extra noise and I worried about what it would be like 5/10/15 years from now.

I received the replacement unit recently and took it to two jazz gigs this weekend. In the mid-range there's a feeling of inconsistency on some of the notes. If you've ever played on an acoustic grand piano with regulation issues, it feels similar to hitting a note where the jack slips and doesn't fire the hammer --- so you feel the key press, but not the weight of tripping the jack and launching the hammer. I'm getting that kind of feeling on this new Nord replacement. The notes sound, but I'm getting an inconsistent feel in the G3 to G4 octave.

Since this is my first Nord, I don't really know what to expect from the keyboard action. I expected a rock-solid consistent feel that wouldn't change for 10+ years. Instead, it feels like the mid-range is already showing signs of 'wearing out' after very little use. I want to love this instrument, but I also don't feel like it should be functioning like this just out of the box.

Can anybody speak to this? Is this a quirk of Nord actions that everybody lives with? Is it just me?

Thanks for any feedback.
OnaZz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Nord Grand Action Inconsistencies and Extra Noise?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Grand Action Inconsistencies and Extra Noise?

Postby luts1976 » 24 Feb 2020, 00:09

Without playing your NG it's hard to know exactly what you are feeling.

However, I have no doubt that what your are feeling is real.

I assume you have tried multiple pianos and EPs and the issue is the same, therefore pointing to an action issue.

You've already returned one. I'd return this one as well and if you have another issue it's time to move on.

It's a lot of money to outlay to not be satisfied.

There are some very good alternatives on the market that are all significantly cheaper.

People can speculate here as to the issue you are having but it won't fix the issue. Only a new unit will.
luts1976

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum