Present yourself, your keyboard rig and your music, including links to your myspace, band websites, competitions etc.

Re: My journey to acoustic

Postby cphollis » 10 Sep 2019, 04:40

kirsty wrote:Thanks for the continued comments everyone and months on and I still play it every day. Love it.
As good as a digital instrument can be, it just can't compete with the sustain and resonance that comes out of a real acoustic piano case.

Me and Heidi (my daughter) did a little experiment a few days ago, and a strong mid C chord with a pair of C base notes rings out at over a minute when you hold the sustain pedal down. Digitals would be well into sample looping by a quarter of that lol.

Heres a very brief sample of how the piano sounds if anyone interested. Nothing serious, quick tinkle :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZtEsMAVaY

K

Actually, the "quick tinkle" is where it's all at. Being able to sit down at an acoustic instrument when convenient, and have enjoyable sounds come out. I do this maybe 3-4 times a day. I think there's an inventory of 40+ songs/patterns I play. More would be good, but I still work for a living.

Right now, I'm in my summer place with a Yamaha AvantGrand N3. Super stiff action, it's like going to the gym. Sonically, it's a blast as it's always in perfect tune, well amplified, etc. It has a volume control, which is helpful when I don't want to blast. The EPs and harpsichords voices are fun as well. It does not suck as a capable instrument. No regrets with this baby.

In a few weeks, I'll be back to my main place in Florida. The Bosie 200 reigns supreme. I can't imagine a better instrument for the space. It helps to define the house. When people are visiting, I'll play something, and life edges into an alternate musical dimension. People are entranced by the sound and how it permeates through the house. When I don't play, there are quiet complaints.

Little ones will stop watching videos, and come watch me play, entranced. And then I'll invite them up for a duet!

My Nords are great, but it's not the same. Nail the AP thing in your home, happiness will result!
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by 4 members, including:
JohannesPScooter63kirstySpider
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby JayDee » 10 Sep 2019, 16:52

In the states, if you said to your friend "I'm going to have a quick tinkle", they'd say "Of course my dear, the ladies restroom is that way" :lol: Nice job on True Colors, though.
Last edited by JayDee on 10 Sep 2019, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby kirsty » 13 Sep 2019, 17:59

JayDee wrote:In the states, if you said to your friend "I'm going to have a quick tinkle", they'd say "Of course my dear, the ladies restroom is that way" :lol: Nice job on True Colors, though.

Oops better watch what i'm saying then :D
'tinkle the ivories' is a common british saying for people whom interact with pianos.

Thankyou for your kind words x
Last edited by kirsty on 09 Oct 2019, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 18 Nov 2019, 03:35

By now, I think you're probably dialed into the deep satisfaction you get from having a decent AP in your home.

My wife understands my perspective: a house is not a home until there's a decent instrument to play. My adult kids grew up in a home where there was always AP music happening. Our long-term friends understand that about us -- I'm sort of into AP music, and it's all good. They like to sing along after a few drinks.

The best news? I've just retired, and now have time to dig into all the classical music I've wanted to play but never had time for. The journey continues.

The author cphollis was thanked by 4 members, including:
JohanneskirstyPScooter63Spider
cphollis

Postby JayDee » 18 Nov 2019, 20:20

Congratulations on your retirement Chuck. Now that you've got some extra time, your wife has some long deferred yard work for you.
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby kirsty » 05 Dec 2019, 19:28

cphollis wrote:I've just retired, and now have time to dig into all the classical music I've wanted to play but never had time for. The journey continues.

Massive congratulations on your retirement Chuck. More piano time can never be a bad thing.

We are still enjoying the grand massively, impossible to get bored of it :) :D

K x

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Postby cphollis » 06 Dec 2019, 06:24

kirsty wrote:
cphollis wrote:I've just retired, and now have time to dig into all the classical music I've wanted to play but never had time for. The journey continues.

Massive congratulations on your retirement Chuck. More piano time can never be a bad thing.

We are still enjoying the grand massively, impossible to get bored of it :) :D

K x

Thank you, Kirsty. I'm now several weeks into retirement, and so far it's fabulous. I'm playing in very different two bands, I'm recording and mixing, plus playing the acoustic grand more than I ever was able to do in the past. And, not surprisingly, I'm getting better in the process. My hands are stronger, my technique is better, the sight reading is coming back -- all good!

-- Chuck
cphollis

Postby lawman » 22 Feb 2020, 09:39

Hi, kirsty,
I'm really late to the party with this post, but your Young Chang story reminded me of a good friend, who (along with his wife) found a used Young Chang baby grand that they loved. They dawdled around and finally decided that they didn't want to spend the money at that time, and someone else bought it. However, after reconsidering, and a lot of soul searching, they hunted down the new owner and bought it from him for $400 more, and they've never regretted it. It's the one they wanted. Congratulations on your journey! Many wonders await!

The author lawman was thanked by:
kirsty
lawman

Postby kirsty » 17 Jan 2023, 02:10

HI everyone.

So an update with this thread after a good while being addicted to the pleasures of playing an acoustic piano in the house.

Its with ultimate sadness to say that my father passed away at the late part of 2021. My father was a musical man himself who was regarded as one of the top brass players in the British Army in the mid to late 70's and he loved a performance of any kind of live music. He could play a little piano too, but preferred to listen to me play as I grew up to be the only real piano player in the family and proudly came to plenty of my gigs over the years. My dad was a mere 63 and his passing was sudden and unexpected - this is still hurting heavily. His estate afforded me some funds and early 2022 I was struggling with grief, and looking for anything to pull me up somewhat. I know if there was anything he would have wanted me to have then a real deal piano would have been it. Don't get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Young Chang G157 and it was what I could afford at the time, but there is no denying that this is a budget instrument and lacking in overall body below middle C. I set about looking for a more substantial instrument to own in honour of my late father.

After some searching some large dealers and playing lots of pianos I was struggling to come across anything which really grabbed my attention. There really are some ghastly and uninspiring instruments out there, some with names on which one would not expect. A trip further afield to a huge piano warehouse left me spoilt for choice but among the noise I stumbled across a particular beautiful reconditioned Yamaha C6 that just had that special something after playing it only for a few seconds. It growled when I played the left hand bass notes and sang so perfect in the mids and highs I was just hooked on a new cloud of sound experience and couldn't find anything to dislike about it. It reminded me of when I discovered the Young Chang and my ears pricking up with interest only this was on a whole new level. The dealer was happy to take in the YC as part exchange so I did the deal. I've owned her a while now and felt it was time to update my acoustic journey thread. Unlike the old piano it doesn't have a name (yet) and my daughter has fallen out of love with piano in favour of learning guitar which is a shame, but it has inspired me to play even more than I ever have and its very special :)

Here is my father, playing my first Nord, the Piano 2HP (which I will say he was very impressed with), and the C6 - a magnificent instrument. I just wish my father was here to see and play it..... but I don't get a choice in that matter :sad: I can only play it in his memory now.

If you are still with me. Thanks for reading :thanx:

mc.jpg
mc.jpg (100.08 KiB) Viewed 895 times

yc6.jpg
yc6.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 895 times
Last edited by kirsty on 17 Jan 2023, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten

The author kirsty was thanked by 4 members, including:
TraciiSpiderTasten-Bertpterm
kirsty

Postby pterm » 17 Jan 2023, 04:50

So sorry for your loss.
I hope your C6 helps bring solace and, in time, joy.

The author pterm was thanked by:
kirsty
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

PreviousNext

Return to Your Music & Keyboard Rig