All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Iem advice

Postby sus_4 » 16 Feb 2020, 17:36

Agree with you, Schorsch. Another benefit from ambient IEM's... I can keep mine (Westone AM Pro 20's) in all night and I do not have to remove them during set breaks. You can actually have a conversation without removing them from your ears. Ear protection and monitoring in one tidy package.
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.

The author sus_4 was thanked by:
Schorsch
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Sponsor

Postby cphollis » 17 Feb 2020, 06:07

One of my bands is now entirely on ambient IEMs (Westone). We all tried the sealed type, nobody really liked it. And, as pointed out above, being able to converse with band members onstage (as well as venue owner, audience, etc.) is an added plus. Less fatiguing to my ears as well. Lots of the local musos are now using them and enjoying them. Almost a staple piece of gear in these parts ...

Not exactly rubbish, I think. Yes, we have tried audience mikes to get some crowd perspective into the mix. It works nicely, and works even better with ambient IEMs :). Personally, I lean on the crowd mix (this is what people are hearing) with a bit of keys boost.

I will point out that I now hear so much freaking detail in my keys that I felt compelled to go back and re-voice all of my patches. I now want a lot less treble and much less "busy-ness". You hear stuff that you don't hear through even expensive monitors. And you start to realize simple is good.

Onwards!
Last edited by cphollis on 17 Feb 2020, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Quai34 » 17 Feb 2020, 09:05

Hi Guys,
I vane' posted anything for a while, I was busy with the preparation of the wedding show that we did one months ago and I have now 500 contacts to go through... And also, I found that building a drums kit from scratch and buying used and new cymbals are super fun so, I was more on drums forum than this one.... And now, maybe after years of earring training from good people on this website, I should have developped a very well hearing skill as any drummers who pass by the house think that the kit sounds awesome....
And they love the IEM little mixer I gave to them so, whatever the click is, from ipad, from metronome, from the drumbox or anything, is super clean....
So, to return to the topic, I have felt that even with sealed IEM, I headt the crowds though the Singers microphones... But it made sense to me that going to IEM was to be as mush as possible depending on the monitor mix and less as possible on the stage sound so, I bought first the Mackie MP240, inn ambient... I liked them but they were a bit falling off my hears so, as they were able to have a smaller ears plug than the Fender FXA2 than I had bought for my daughter, I gave her the Mackie and I bought for me the FXA6 from Fender.... I fell that the sealing is perfect for me and last time we played the sound was crystal clear....
I'm not sure the real debate is between sealed or anbient but way more finding an ear plug that is really fitting your ears, especially when it's not a customized one....
But when you read reviews you realized that now a lot more IEM are really close to the custom ones so, as they are cheaper, that was my Moove...
Also, I bought 6 IEM finally for the all band so, that's why I bought the Fender FXa2, in promo at 99$ when they were around 200$ at first, that was a good deal...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby TheCoolBeaNS » 17 Feb 2020, 18:22

Schorsch wrote:...I even remove the IEM from one ear sometimes to achieve this.

:shock: :shock: Binaural summation is something to have a little read about... I would strongly advise against taking an ear out.

x
TheCoolBeaNS

Postby Schorsch » 17 Feb 2020, 18:48

Yes one has to be careful not to raise the volume when removing the InEar from one ear to avoid ear damage since the volume feels lower when only one in ear speaker is in use. Knowing this is essential, but if you take care of it it works well, at least for me. And as I said I SOMETIMES take out one in ear speaker, just for one specific song or part of the song where we push the audience to sing, to make sure I get what they are doing and if it’s necessary to push more
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification