General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Having trouble with recording to PC

Postby PunishedMoose » 14 Feb 2020, 11:40

Hi there,

Total newbie here. Recently purchased a Nord Stage 3 and attempting to record audio to PC via a Focusrite Scarlett Solo gen3.

I have two 1/4" jacks connecting from CH1 out & CH2 of the Nord to the back of the Scarlett (line outputs right & left). The Scarlett is connected to my PC via USB.
Can hear audio from PC when connecting headphones to the headphone jack in the front of the Scarlett, but not from the Nord. Briefly tried to record using Audacity and Pro Tools but there's no audio output either.

I've tried to fiddle with the cables, but I was wondering if someone more savvy would be able to give me a hand. Perhaps some settings that I've just overlooked?

Thank you in advance :(
PunishedMoose

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Having trouble with recording to PC

Sponsor

Re: Having trouble with recording to PC

Postby hoopyfrood » 14 Feb 2020, 12:48

Hi, the line outputs on the back of the Scarlett are outputs not inputs, so you're just connecting two outputs together, and the signal from the Nord is just fighting the output signal from the Scarlett, and neither signal is going anywhere. With audio you need to connect the output of one device to the input of another device.

The Scarlett Solo not the best interface for recording keyboards, as it only has one line input, so you can only reliably record the NS3 in Mono (set the NS3 in Mono Mode shift -> Panel A) and connect either output 1 or 2 to the Scarlett solo Line input. Perhaps someone on here has a Scarlett Solo (I use Scarlett 4i4) and can confirm if you can record in stereo using the line input and Mic inputs. You would need a jack to XLR adaptor for the Mic input.
Last edited by hoopyfrood on 14 Feb 2020, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

The author hoopyfrood was thanked by:
PunishedMoose
hoopyfrood

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Re: Having trouble with recording to PC

Postby PunishedMoose » 14 Feb 2020, 13:14

Thank you so much Hoopyfrood, that makes total sense!
PunishedMoose

Return to Nord Stage Forum