General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), and Nord Stage 3 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 88HA "LED ghosting" issue

Postby Hlaalu » 09 Feb 2020, 13:45

Hi there,

I recently bought a NS3 88 (RevB 5.1), and I am having some LED "ghosting" issues.

Certain LEDs lit up very dimly depending on which other LEDs are lit. You switch on a button here, a ghost LED over there shuts off, and vice versa, and so on.

I made a video to show the problem (pls check attached file). The ghosting is very dim, it requires you to switch off your ambient light to properly see it. But once you do, it is there and noticeable.

Is anyone else having this kind of problem? I sent an email to Nord but so far got no reply.

Thanks guys
Attachments
NS388_LED_Ghosting.mpeg
(12.85 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by Hlaalu on 09 Feb 2020, 14:23, edited 3 times in total.
Hlaalu

Nord Stage 3 88HA "LED ghosting" issue

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 88HA "LED ghosting" issue

Postby Schorsch » 09 Feb 2020, 13:55

Hi,

isn’t this basically the same issue which mentioned in your other thread here? https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage-forum-f3/master-clock-led-blinking-dimly-under-certain-conditions-t19000.html
Regards Schorsch

The best in music is not in the notes.

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
.... and more (GAS :roll: ) ...
Schorsch
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Hlaalu » 09 Feb 2020, 14:16

Schorsch wrote:Hi,

isn’t this basically the same issue which mentioned in your other thread here? https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage-forum-f3/master-clock-led-blinking-dimly-under-certain-conditions-t19000.html

Yes, but (as I wrote in the last post of that thread) what I initially thought was an issue related to the Master Clock LED specifically, now I have noticed it's just general LED ghosting.

I thought it would be misleading for others with the same issue (or not) to just leave it labelled as master clock.

Tecnhically, the other thread could be closed, but I couldn't find a way to do so.
Hlaalu

Postby ericL » 09 Feb 2020, 19:12

That's interesting. I'll have to see if I can see any of that with either of my NS3 Compact units. There's a part of me that thinks that may just be something like "afterglow" from other LEDs bleeding into the ones not turned on, possibly?
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, DSI Prophet-6, Vent, Radial Key Largo, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, Vent, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Hlaalu » 09 Feb 2020, 21:19

If by "afterglow" (I'm not native in English) you mean that they appear to be lit because of the light coming from other nearby leds, that's not the case. Initially I thought it may be, but then you clearly see they are really lit, albeit dimly. It can be seen from my clip as well.

I would be curious to know whether any of you could replicate this. As I said, a dark room helps to spot it.
Hlaalu

Postby Hlaalu » 12 Feb 2020, 06:22

I apologise for asking again, but has anyone tried to see if they can spot this issue on their board?
I contacted Nord and my dealer but I got little help so far. It would help is someone else could bring their experience.
Thanks guys
Hlaalu

Postby Schorsch » 14 Feb 2020, 10:58

Hi, I have this on both my NS3C and my NS3-88, but it appears on LEDs only which are next/very close to an other LED which is switched on. It looks like a dimmed LED, but it's clearly a reflection of the light emitted by the activated LED. When switching off this activated LED the "dimmed" light of the other LED disappears as well
Last edited by Schorsch on 14 Feb 2020, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
Schorsch
Patch Creator

Postby Hlaalu » 14 Feb 2020, 14:55

Thank you for your feedback. Which panel revision do you have? Mine it's the B 5.1. It might be something related to the panel recision?... who knows.

It looks like you don't have the issue anyway. The dim LEDs I see are many inches apart from each other. Definitely not some reflection thing.

The problem is that I already sent two emails to Nord but still haven't got a reply.
Hlaalu

Postby Schorsch » 14 Feb 2020, 17:04

My Nord Stage 3 Compact has the old panel, revision v2.0.0

My Nord Stage 3 88 has the new panel, revision B v5.1

I would go and visit your dealer or another shop who has a Nord Stage 3 on display and see if it shows the same thing, to see whether it's really a specifi issue to your instrument or if it's kind of normal behaviour
Last edited by Schorsch on 14 Feb 2020, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
Schorsch
Patch Creator

Postby Hlaalu » 16 Feb 2020, 06:57

I bought it from Thomann, even if I am based in Italy. I trusted their good fame and decided to buy from them. But they are now saying "LED ghosting could be normal, and in any case contact Nord" -- and Nord still doesn't reply to me after two messages.

There isn't any Nord dealer anywhere near I live, as far as I can tell, so I guess until Nord replies back and says something this issue is going to remain mysterious.

Of course, any other feedback from other users would be helpful and much appreciated.
Hlaalu

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum