Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: Next model features

Postby wartaler » 20 Sep 2019, 10:41

Hi!
I merged your thread with an older thread on the same topic..

Stacks wrote:multi timbral would be amazing.
The Nord drums are multi timbral, do you mean multi timbral editing?

Although I have no complaints about editing my ND2, and like the small form factor, I'm also a big fan of direct access to parameters and (almost) one function per knob, Nord does this very well with their keyboards. However with about 30 parameters and 6 channels (let's add 2 for the next model), you end up with a 8x30 grid of knobs, I would easily get confused.

I was fantasizing about direct access to sound parameters for tone, noise and click, of one channel + 8 channel selection buttons. For direct control over the mix however, I'd suggest 2 or 3 rows of knobs, where things like channel volume, panning, effects etc. can be controlled a bit like a mixing desk.

Of course all knobs should be endless rotary encoders with a ring of LEDs, this will increase the price and size a bit, but I really like them.. Perhaps they can find a more slender model than the type used on their keyboards.

LewTheKeysGuy wrote:USB support for a start for data handling rather than MIDI
Do you mean MIDI over USB? I'd suggest to keep the MIDI DIN ports but add USB for easier connection to computers and tablets. It will also prevent some bad-USB-MIDI-interface related problems..
tobintech wrote:USB port for midi and audio (this can help with the separate audio per channel issue)
Yes, a bit like the Overbridge concept from Elektron, nice..

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 20 Sep 2019, 16:48, edited 9 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Postby DrNoize » 09 Nov 2019, 22:23

wartaler wrote:Hi!
Although I have no complaints about editing my ND2, and like the small form factor, I'm also a big fan of direct access to parameters and (almost) one function per knob, Nord does this very well with their keyboards. However with about 30 parameters and 6 channels (let's add 2 for the next model), you end up with a 8x30 grid of knobs, I would easily get confused.

I was fantasizing about direct access to sound parameters for tone, noise and click, of one channel + 8 channel selection buttons. For direct control over the mix however, I'd suggest 2 or 3 rows of knobs, where things like channel volume, panning, effects etc. can be controlled a bit like a mixing desk.

Of course all knobs should be endless rotary encoders with a ring of LEDs, this will increase the price and size a bit, but I really like them.. Perhaps they can find a more slender model than the type used on their keyboards.

I have my eye on Electra One MIDI controller for the Nord Drum 3p.
https://electra.one
Looks like it's easy to configure and going for more tactile with ND3p sound design.

The author DrNoize was thanked by 2 members, including:
Ed-zonewartaler
DrNoize

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Postby wartaler » 09 Nov 2019, 23:17

wow! that looks amazing!
I'm building something slightly more primitive with the 'Pocket Electronic' from Doepfer
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby DrNoize » 11 Nov 2019, 16:44

I contacted Electra One about support for the Nord Drum and now it's on their list of development :)
DrNoize

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum