Next model features

Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.
DrNoize
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Re: Next model features

Post by DrNoize »

wartaler wrote:Hi!
Although I have no complaints about editing my ND2, and like the small form factor, I'm also a big fan of direct access to parameters and (almost) one function per knob, Nord does this very well with their keyboards. However with about 30 parameters and 6 channels (let's add 2 for the next model), you end up with a 8x30 grid of knobs, I would easily get confused.

I was fantasizing about direct access to sound parameters for tone, noise and click, of one channel + 8 channel selection buttons. For direct control over the mix however, I'd suggest 2 or 3 rows of knobs, where things like channel volume, panning, effects etc. can be controlled a bit like a mixing desk.

Of course all knobs should be endless rotary encoders with a ring of LEDs, this will increase the price and size a bit, but I really like them.. Perhaps they can find a more slender model than the type used on their keyboards.
I have my eye on Electra One MIDI controller for the Nord Drum 3p.
https://electra.one
Looks like it's easy to configure and going for more tactile with ND3p sound design.
These users thanked the author DrNoize for the post (total 2):
wartaler, Ed-zone
wartaler
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Post by wartaler »

wow! that looks amazing!
I'm building something slightly more primitive with the 'Pocket Electronic' from Doepfer
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
DrNoize
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Post by DrNoize »

I contacted Electra One about support for the Nord Drum and now it's on their list of development :)
LewTheKeysGuy

Thoughts on a new Nord Drum design?

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

Hey gang...

So, we have the Drum 3P, nice piece of kit and quite impressive, no I'm not an owner of one yet, but might be in the future.

With the Nord Wave 2 released and due on the shelves any time soon, my thoughts have been on a successor to the 3P.

I love drum machines, miss the ones I owned, etc. The 3P has some good uses, but there is something missing... YEP. you guessed it, Sample storage and sample playback / synthesis.

What if, there was a way to enhance the Drum 3P to become more powerful in sound design... Say, 512mb storage for samples / kits and 12 trigger pads instead of 6, the ability for a bit more of a tactile system for editing, etc.

OK I realise that there are other systems on the market such as the Sequential Tempest, etc, but the design of the nord appeals to me more, ok, drum machines have sequence programming, etc and that's great, but the synthesis and editing on some machines is just too much to do without a pair of eyes, at least with the drum 3P, it's a logical programming structure and you can feel your way around easier.

I'm opening this up so that anyone interested in a newer version of the Drum 3P could put your thoughts and ideas down, requests. if you're happy to do that, then it can be posed to Nord for them to see what users would like.

lew