Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

electro 3 won't start

Postby Mojojojo » 14 Jan 2020, 08:54

When powered on all lights light up like normal but it fails to reset to program. usually makes a clicking noise while doing this. it just stays with all lights lit and showing 888 across the screen. please help with any info. thanks
Mojojojo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

electro 3 won't start

Sponsor

Re: electro 3 won't start

Postby LewTheKeysGuy » 14 Jan 2020, 10:49

Firstly, where abouts in the world are you? your profile says nothing about you. As the Electro 3 is classed as "Legacy" I'm not sure how easy it will be for replacement parts, etc. I would consult Nord or your country's NORD official distributor for assistance here because it looks like your board has gone in to panic and locked down, probably a discharge which has corrupted the OS depending on whether it's not been used in a long time, or whether due to dry solder joints if any of the PIC components, caps, resistors, etc may have failed or the actual processors could have dismounted from the board due to dry solder joints.

a skilled technician can examine the board and relays to see where the fault may be, but the best possible action here is for a nord representative such as your country's distributor to be made involved. if the worst comes, then it's time to let it go, because parts replacements would be rather challenging to do in terms of acquisition of parts such as the main board, etc.

I wish you good luck with this and your instrument is in my thoughts.

lew
Nord Grand, Stage 3-88 & Piano Monitors, Roland Integra 7, Korg Trinity Rack, ADAM SP5 reference headphones & A3X Monitors.
LewTheKeysGuy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby Mojojojo » 15 Jan 2020, 02:42

thanks Lew,
Im in Macon Georgia. and it wasn't powered up for probably 3 months before this occurred. hoping back for an email from nord about what to do. still plenty capable and great to be considered a legacy lol.
Mojojojo

Postby LewTheKeysGuy » 15 Jan 2020, 10:08

I'm not sure if Pablo at American Music & Sound can help you here as they seem to be the Distributors in the USA for Nord, Pablo's floating on here and is a wealth of information, he may be able to help you there.

lew
Nord Grand, Stage 3-88 & Piano Monitors, Roland Integra 7, Korg Trinity Rack, ADAM SP5 reference headphones & A3X Monitors.
LewTheKeysGuy

Postby Arjan P » 16 Jan 2020, 00:28

@Mojojojo, does the Electro show the firmware version after starting up or does it only show 888 and stay there? Maybe trying to connect to a computer and run the firmware installer could do the trick..
Arjan P

Postby Mojojojo » 16 Jan 2020, 01:06

its just stuck on 88s. doesn't display the firmware which i do know is out of date. hooked up to computer and its not being recognized. turning on and back off with give different combinations of stuck lights . I've gotten 888 777 444 333 with drawbar lights coming on differently. been trying everyday and leaving it on for a while to no change. thanks for any and all help
Mojojojo

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Jan 2020, 01:11

I think there is a way of forcing the OS loading by booting with some keys pressed, perhaps somebody remembers the trick (I do not, unfortunately).
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby LewTheKeysGuy » 16 Jan 2020, 01:18

if it shows 888 on start, a firmware fix won't restore it, PIC controller is most likely failed. one of a few components has corrupted and it won't connect on boot. in order for a board to boot on power up (POST) as is with any board, it has to run tests before USB is opened up, 888 indicates a critical board failure and no further processes. the board would either need to be replaced, or IF and it's most likely if, there are dry solder joints here which is possible, the board would need to be reworked or reflowed with new solder. most board failures can be put to solder failures depending on how the board was assembled. as I understand it, these boards are Pick and Place / SIP (Solder in Place) where boards are modelled, then sent in to a flow oven to solder. if that's the case, sometimes this fault can happen. There was a big case of a manufacturer who produced particular controller boards having to recall them due to the technology producing the boards having been calibrated incorrectly, producing a poor solder point.

lew

having just listened to the latest posting, I confirm my suspicion. the main board is trashed.

You cannot force a discharged board to reboot or flash firmware if the PIC controller produces this error..

I would give one suggestion if Nord refuses to assist and / or your distributor in your country can't assist, it's worth a try.. remove the mainboard from the electro 3, get a solid surface that's capable of handling heat, cover it with tin foil and flatten it. place the board once DISCHARGED (remove power cord, press power button on, leave for 20 seconds and switch power button off). place logic board on surface and warm up using an electric heat gun using slow steady passes across and in parallel so that heat can be transferred throughout the board, this will help re-wick any solder, but be careful. I've had to do this years ago and you need to be knowledgeable of this because reflowing a board manually requires patience. flip the board if the components have tails underneeth with solder points and warm this side too. be careful.

PLEASE NOTE: I AM ONLY ADVISING THIS AS A LAST RESORT. DO NOT ATTEMPT IF NOT COMPETENT.
LewTheKeysGuy

Postby Mojojojo » Yesterday, 19:55

thanks guys. i did receive an email from nord about service so ill try and go that route first, but i appreciate the last resort option. ill keep everyone posted on new developments. -Joe
Mojojojo

Return to Nord Electro Forum