Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby Elias » 12 Jan 2020, 18:20

ApolloSynths wrote:It doesn't have the Nord buttons that are literally the most perfect buttons in the world. I'll pass.


Even the metal levers? I think they are really nice.
Elias
Elias
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 29 Sep 2019, 09:29
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro


Sponsor
 

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby Guidos656 » 23 Jan 2020, 12:29

Elias wrote:Even the metal levers? I think they are really nice.


I do like those metal levers. Like piloting a jet plane! :lol:
Guidos656
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Jun 2019, 15:59
Country: Great Britain
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby anotherscott » 23 Jan 2020, 17:38

PScooter63 wrote:But at the end of the day, a ROMpler is still a ROMpler.

On the Electro, the organs are modeled, and all other sounds are sampled.
On the YC, the tonewheel organ is modeled, the transistor organs are created with FM synthesis, and all other sounds are either sampled or FM.

ajstan wrote:As far as I can tell, there is no ability to load samples, or create new sounds with the synth engine

You're right that there's no ability to load samples or create new synth sounds, but the YC has a different feature that can fill that role... it includes a 4-zone MIDI controller function. Electro 6 doesn't have anything like that. Unlike on the Nord, the YC lets you split its internal sounds with external sounds (and otherwise configure the settings for which external sound you might want to split/layer with its own sounds), so if you want other synth sounds or custom samples, you can add them via MIDI (e.g. from an iPhone/iPad, and/or a hardware synth like a Roland Boutique module, etc.). It actually out-does the NS3 here, with 4 external MIDI sections instead of 2, though Nord's are easier to configure (on the YC, these functions require menu diving).

ApolloSynths wrote:It doesn't have the Nord buttons that are literally the most perfect buttons in the world.

Regardless of one's opinion about that, it at least nicely has 8 patch select buttons instead of 4.

Spider wrote:Yes, this is basically an Electro with arguably a better synth section (if only for the mod-pitch controls)

Besides those controls, other synths advantages include filter cutoff/resonance controls, monophonic option with portamento, and the ability to split/layer two synth sounds.

dmamfmgm wrote:It seemed to me that, for a demo, they spent a massive amount of time doing these really quick, impossible-to-judge sound bites of the instrument. Then they'd cut it off before you could really hear it or get to know it. Then you'd listen to someone talk for a while. Then another quick sound bite...I don't think Yamaha understands their audience very well. Just my opinion.

There are other videos with more playing, too. I'll post one I like below.

ajstan wrote:Within the Yamaha line, other than the Organ you can get everything else with exponentially greater flexibility and functionality in a MODX6 for $1,399 and add a dedicated organ module for a similar total price.

Sound-wise, you're right. But you could similarly ask why someone would buy an Electro 6 when you can get "exponentially greater flexibility and functionality in a MODX6 for $1,399 and add a dedicated organ module for a similar total price." As Nord shows and Yamaha has apparently learned, there is a market who will pay more for a board with simpler and more immediate operational ergonomics.

LewTheKeysGuy wrote:it's basically a cheaper CP88 / CP73 which was teased as the Stage 3 killer

CP doesn't have a real organ engine.

LewTheKeysGuy wrote:electro 6-61 is cheaper

In the U.S. it's the other way around.

Tracii wrote:If I was in the market for an organ-centric all-in-1 light-weight board, however, it'd be serious competition.

Rusty Mike wrote:61 keys is a bit too cramped for an all-in-one instrument. Let's see if they come out with a 73/76 waterfall version.

Yes, to both. If I wanted a single lightweight organ-centric 61-key do-it-all board, this would probably be my choice... but if you're using it as your only board, 7x would be better.

ajstan wrote:I could be missing something and future updates could add new capabilities, but IMHO, I'm not seeing how this is worth 2x the price of a VR09 or 90% of an Electro 6.

Benefits over Nord include the above mentioned synth functions, MIDI controller features, additional patch select buttons, and FM synth sounds, other advantages over the Nord include (presumably) multi-velocity-layered sounds for things other than pianos, what looks like a clever drawbar design that combines the physical drawbars with LED indicators, more flexibility in splits/layers (combine any two sounds from any section, choose any split point), and more flexibility in effects (more total effects, more combinations available, separate amount and rate controls). Remaining Nord advantages include the ability to use stereo out as dual mono outs (organ out one side), custom sample loading, pipe organ emulation, and downloadable alternate pianos and other sounds. Action comparison remains to be seen. And picking up from something I said above, using an iPhone/iPad, I can add other sounds to the Yamaha if needed, but there's no way to add pitch/mod controls or some of the other Yamaha benefits to the Nord.

Compared to the VR-09, Yamaha benefits include at least these: more flexibility in splits/layers (more than two sounds), effects (different sounds can have different effects), MIDI (4-zone controller and drawbars that send CC, among other things), FM sounds, specific Vox and Farfisa emulations (Roland has a generic "transistor" organ that doesn't actually emulate either), ability to have the sound instantly reflect the drawbar positions, and almost certainly better action. Roland has full VA synth editable via iPad, and is best priced.

Both Roland and Nord also have the advantage of being offered with alternate actions.

Sound will be subjective and depend on what's most important to you, but I think the YC sounds really nice here...

Watch on youtube.com

The author anotherscott was thanked by 5 members, including:
PScooter63CountFoscoajstanharmonizerspradders
anotherscott
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 04:50
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 860 times

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby catosim » 23 Jan 2020, 18:33

cphollis wrote:I think Yamaha is going to sell a bunch of them, simply because it looks like a competent instrument from Yamaha.


Exactly!
Yamaha is a great producer of instruments and equipment. I have used several of their products, and are very pleased with the quality.
For the last 4 years Nord is my preferred choice, and I am intrigued with the new Wave 2
Would have been boring without the competition between the brands, and probably less development and improvements.
Hope for success for Yamaha and their YC61. Ím Still sticking with my NS3 :)
Gear: Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Yamaha Motif 6, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Korg BX3, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2
catosim
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 06 Nov 2017, 22:58
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 24 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby anotherscott » 23 Jan 2020, 18:51

catosim wrote:Hope for success for Yamaha and their YC61. Ím Still sticking with my NS3 :)

Same here, all around. My NS3 Compact is still the much stronger board all around. But for someone who doesn't want to spend that money and can get by with 61 keys, this might be the next best thing, feature-wise, in an organ-centric do-everything board. Sound-wise and action, we'll see. And if Yamaha is successful with the product, they're more likely to develop more gear along these lines.
anotherscott
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 04:50
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 860 times

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 24 Jan 2020, 11:32

Just to chip into the discussion here, I personally think this Yamaha looks brilliant. For the following reasons :

1. Yamaha build quality is excellent. I've owned several Yamaha keyboards that have given many years of service with ZERO problems. Digital pianos/home keyboards/ stage keyboards. I trust the build 100% for at least 10 years of use absolute minimum. They are 'built to last' in my experience.

2. The fact you can't load sounds can be a good thing. If a major part of the attraction of a product is the fact you can load/swap sounds, this gives the company the opportunity to stop supporting that model with their software after a few years. So you can no longer have this major feature, and have to upgrade. Apple do this type of thing, they enforce their agenda on you. With a 'stand-alone' product, you just buy it, as it is, and that's it. You just keep it.

3. Overall, a new product like the Yamaha gives great competition to other brands like Nord - and will be good for customers because it means Nord have to give an excellent service otherwise customers will jump ship.

So, I say - well done Yamaha! This keyboard looks great, definitely interested.
User avatar
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 07 Feb 2017, 23:27
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 83 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby ajstan » 24 Jan 2020, 18:04

@anotherscott - Thanks, this is great info!

anotherscott wrote:
ajstan wrote:As far as I can tell, there is no ability to load samples, or create new sounds with the synth engine

You're right that there's no ability to load samples or create new synth sounds, but the YC has a different feature that can fill that role... it includes a 4-zone MIDI controller function. Electro 6 doesn't have anything like that. Unlike on the Nord, the YC lets you split its internal sounds with external sounds (and otherwise configure the settings for which external sound you might want to split/layer with its own sounds), so if you want other synth sounds or custom samples, you can add them via MIDI (e.g. from an iPhone/iPad, and/or a hardware synth like a Roland Boutique module, etc.). It actually out-does the NS3 here, with 4 external MIDI sections instead of 2, though Nord's are easier to configure (on the YC, these functions require menu diving).

That sounds cool if a user is open to a multi-device solution.

anotherscott wrote:
ajstan wrote:Within the Yamaha line, other than the Organ you can get everything else with exponentially greater flexibility and functionality in a MODX6 for $1,399 and add a dedicated organ module for a similar total price.

Sound-wise, you're right. But you could similarly ask why someone would buy an Electro 6 when you can get "exponentially greater flexibility and functionality in a MODX6 for $1,399 and add a dedicated organ module for a similar total price." As Nord shows and Yamaha has apparently learned, there is a market who will pay more for a board with simpler and more immediate operational ergonomics.

The reason why the Electro comparison doesn't work for me is the Nord Piano Library. I don't see anything similar to that scope in the YC or MODX. If a large variety of high-quality, sampled pianos aren't important, then I would agree. Regardless, I agree in the value of simplicity and hands-on control without menu-diving.

anotherscott wrote:
ajstan wrote:I could be missing something and future updates could add new capabilities, but IMHO, I'm not seeing how this is worth 2x the price of a VR09 or 90% of an Electro 6.

Benefits over Nord include the above mentioned synth functions, MIDI controller features, additional patch select buttons, and FM synth sounds, other advantages over the Nord include (presumably) multi-velocity-layered sounds for things other than pianos, what looks like a clever drawbar design that combines the physical drawbars with LED indicators, more flexibility in splits/layers (combine any two sounds from any section, choose any split point), and more flexibility in effects (more total effects, more combinations available, separate amount and rate controls). Remaining Nord advantages include the ability to use stereo out as dual mono outs (organ out one side), custom sample loading, pipe organ emulation, and downloadable alternate pianos and other sounds. Action comparison remains to be seen. And picking up from something I said above, using an iPhone/iPad, I can add other sounds to the Yamaha if needed, but there's no way to add pitch/mod controls or some of the other Yamaha benefits to the Nord.

Compared to the VR-09, Yamaha benefits include at least these: more flexibility in splits/layers (more than two sounds), effects (different sounds can have different effects), MIDI (4-zone controller and drawbars that send CC, among other things), FM sounds, specific Vox and Farfisa emulations (Roland has a generic "transistor" organ that doesn't actually emulate either), ability to have the sound instantly reflect the drawbar positions, and almost certainly better action. Roland has full VA synth editable via iPad, and is best priced.

Both Roland and Nord also have the advantage of being offered with alternate actions.

This is a really well-done and thorough comparison, Scott. You certainly answered the question about what I may have been missing in my initial impression. My opinion on value was based upon the NE6 having two flagship-quality engines (Piano and Organ) while the YC had one (Organ). Assuming the organs are of similar quality, I thought that the limitations of the YC synth engine kept it from closing the gap the NE6 had with the Pianos, although with your additional info, the two units seem closer in value that I originally thought.

I seem to be in the minority, but as a Yamaha fan since my DX7-IIFD days, my initial enthusiasm for the YC was based upon the expectation that it was going to be a $1,399 MODX with an upgraded organ engine for $600 more, making it a flagship organ with flagship synth engine. Instead, the synth functionality (while still useful and superior to the NE6) was hobbled more than I expected.

Again, great info. Thanks!
NS3-88, NS3C, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K
User avatar
ajstan
 
Posts: 415
Joined: 12 Sep 2017, 14:16
Country: United States of America
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 179 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Yamaha YC 61, Andertons demo

Postby Elias » 21 Feb 2020, 20:41

https://youtu.be/ANbTGc4f2Rg

here is a youtube demo
Last edited by Elias on 21 Feb 2020, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Elias
Elias
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 29 Sep 2019, 09:29
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby CountFosco » 21 Feb 2020, 23:21

anotherscott wrote:but I think the YC sounds really nice here...

Watch on youtube.com


If I could play that solo from 5:40 one time in my life, I would die happy.
User avatar
CountFosco
 
Posts: 387
Joined: 16 Nov 2016, 11:23
Country: Switzerland
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 130 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: New Yamaha YC 61 vs Nord Electro

Postby Schorsch » 22 Feb 2020, 01:13

CountFosco wrote:
anotherscott wrote:but I think the YC sounds really nice here...

If I could play that solo from 5:40 one time in my life, I would die happy.


Ohhh yesssss .... so great and very cool
Regards Schorsch

Edits to this post were done to remove typos

The best in music is not in the notes.

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
Schorsch
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 937
Joined: 15 May 2018, 23:34
Location: Germany - NRW - Viersen
Country: Germany
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 270 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests