Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE6 MIDI Program Change Issues

Postby maximusprime491 » 11 May 2019, 22:49

Hello!

I am using Mainstage to change programs on my Nord Electro 6. I am able to get it to work, but I sometimes have issues when I have sounds that are in the piano bank. Sometimes when I change patches on the computer, the Nord will change patches to the correct bank location, but if I am using the piano bank it doesn't always get the right piano sound. Instead it just sets the piano sound to the first piano that is in the piano engine. If I push the right program button on the actual keyboard, then it will change to the correct piano. Has anyone else had this issue or any ideas on how to fix this problem?

In Mainstage, the MIDI output is set to channels 1-16 and I am just using the program change option, not the bank select (MSB and LSB)

Thanks!
maximusprime491

NE6 MIDI Program Change Issues

Sponsor

Re: NE6 MIDI Program Change Issues

Postby maxpiano » 12 May 2019, 00:14

On NE6 the MIDI CCs control many parameters, such as Piano type (36) and Piano Model (37).

Maybe Mainstage is setting those to 0 when changing patch (and sending them to the NE6)? You can use the app "MIDI Monitor" https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ to "spy" on MIDI output to NE6D and check that.
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 May 2019, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby maximusprime491 » 13 May 2019, 04:41

Hmm yeah I am not seeing those values come up on MIDI Monitor at all! It is strange because sometimes the program change fully works and sometimes it does not
maximusprime491

Postby baekgaard » 13 May 2019, 13:44

Not sure, but if you send "partial" changes (like a PC with MSB or LSB selects), then maybe whatever was sent to it before still have effect -- or maybe even a local change on the board has changed the "default" mode.

So it's probably best to send the full set of commands, including bank selects.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby planmusic » 24 Nov 2019, 17:28

Hi, did this ever get resolved? I am having the exact same issue? I’ll go to send a MIDI patch change from my IPad and instead of a clavinet, I’ll get the grand piano. The patch on the keyboard was set up correctly. Only when I access it through midi is it wrong and only the piano engine. I have the midi set up as 1-0-1or2-1-127. Strange and frustrating for live play.
planmusic
Patch Creator

Postby draobyek » 10 Jan 2020, 16:25

Same problem here!
I am using Triton Extreme for patch changing. I change the combi, and midi signal changes metronome tempo, my drummers patch on his SPD, and it changes program on Nord Electro 6D. Although it changes the program on the Nord to the correct location the sound bank is often wrong, and not the one i preprogrammed for that program location. It seems to always call on the first sound in the piano library!
This setup worked just fine while i was rocking the NE2!
draobyek

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby planmusic » 23 Jan 2020, 23:15

I found a work around!

Here is what you have to do (providing you can program multiple program changes from your computer or tablet) I use Forscore for iPad. Point your first program change to a blank program or any other program except the one you need to access. Second, add a 1 ms delay if possible. Third add the program change you need to access. If you can't add multiple program changes than you may be SOL. Thats it! I haven't the foggiest idea why it works but it does. Perhaps it is resetting a parameter ..who knows
planmusic
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Electro Forum