This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

White Grand damper lifting noise at 6.6 kHz ?

Postby PM_ME_PATCHES » 06 Jan 2020, 09:48

I just loaded the White Grand (large version) into my Nord Stage 2 HA76 for the first time.

I noticed a distinct noise at c# above middle c. I'm pretty sure it's the natural noise a grand piano's damper makes when it's lifted of the string. (I remember practicing at an actual grand piano, it sounds almost like there's a bit of stickiness between the damper and the string, and when the damper is lifted you can hear it.)

The thing that bugs me at the moment is that this noise seems much louder at c# above middle c. It sticks out to my ears in an unpleasant way.
Especially with a slightly arpeggiated voicing like a2 - e3 - b3 - c#4 - e4 you can hear it. Something about that combination of keys seems to pronounce the noise so much that it made me stop playing and investigate.

With the NS2's inbuilt EQ I localized the noise at around 6.6 kHz. When you turn that frequency up, you can hear the noise on all keys. Which doesn't surprise me, because, as stated before, it seems to be a natural thing. It's just the unevenness that surprises me.

I've tried different headphones, same result.

It's just weird to me, because I never noticed an audible flaw like this in Nord's other piano sample. I've used the Bright Grand and the Italian Grand a lot, hey all sound so clean.

Has anyone noticed that?
PM_ME_PATCHES

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

White Grand damper lifting noise at 6.6 kHz ?

Sponsor

Return to General Nord Forum