General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Loading an NS2 string sample into an NS3

Postby reinski » 03 Jan 2020, 08:06

My older NS2 has a string sample called "OrchStrings Marc Lite Vib" that I tweaked a lot and got sounding REALLY big and authentic. I use it as a layer on many of my sounds via mod wheel. Unfortunately when I bought my NS3 I discovered that particular sample was NOT included in the new model. The string samples were much thinner and not nearly as good. Question : can I download this old NS2 sample to my NS3 by way of Nord Sound Manager??
reinski

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Loading an NS2 string sample into an NS3

Sponsor

Re: Loading an NS2 string sample into an NS3

Postby catosim » 03 Jan 2020, 09:55

Yes you can.
Of course you will need to do tweaking of the sample all over again, since the NS2 programs aren't compatible with NS3.
There is a small chance that you'll need to convert the sample to a newer format, hence the different OS version.
Last time a tried an older sample on my NS3, I simply dragged and dropped it, using Sound Manager, and the sample converted itself.
Been a while since the last use of an older sample, so I haven't tried this function for a while.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B

The author catosim was thanked by:
reinski
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Schorsch » 03 Jan 2020, 10:22

Yes, Sound Manager converts .nsmp samples into the new .nsmp3 format when you load it into the Stage 3, that shouldn’t be a problem at all
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
reinski
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 03 Jan 2020, 14:03

Hm... I do not think I would advice deleting the nspm files. If one wishes to share the nsmp with other instruments that do not (yet?) support the nsmp3 format, it is better to keep them in nspm format as they can still be uploaded in all nsmp3-supporting gear, but not the way round. There are no new parameters that can be tweaked anyway, and the sound quality we've been told is the same, so the advantage of the nsmp3 format is still, to the user, somewhat questionable.
Instead I would do a backup of the whole instrument contents, the backup should contain all the converted files files anyway.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by 2 members, including:
reinskiSchorsch
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum