Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Low volume on Nord Piano Monitor

Postby UgoFr » 13 Dec 2019, 10:12

I've just tried to plug my Kawai in the monitors, and it's actually weaker apparently.
Then I tried to plug the monitors in to the headphone out, not really sure about that one but it could be slightly louder. But if there's a difference, it's not that big.

As I mentioned previously, I plugged my phone to the Aux, with full volume on, and it's much louder than any sound on the NP4.
To conclude, I think that everything's just fine, but the audio output on these keyboards may be a little weak.

Thanks again for your help !
UgoFr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Sponsor

Postby UgoFr » 13 Dec 2019, 11:31

I'm in contact with the store right now, showing them videos and recordings of all that. They'll tell me if something's wrong.
I was trying to measure the volume level with phone apps to compare with your level, I do have an 80-85dB at half volume but when I put it at 100%, the level tops at 85dB (might be a limitation on my phone though).
UgoFr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby Schorsch » 13 Dec 2019, 13:31

dB metering apps may not work properly if they are not well calibrated to the specific phone's microphone, so I would not take this as a serious measurement if you are not sure about the calibration
Last edited by Schorsch on 13 Dec 2019, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby johnpeer » 25 Dec 2019, 16:56

I just connected my Nord Monitors to my Grand last night. I too was surprised at how quiet they are. I don't think there is anything "wrong"...as the OP later concluded I think they are just not meant to be loud; they are meant to replicate an acoustic piano, and they do that well...with the Grand turned up full, they do.

I guess it's like my old FP-8, or those Yamaha PSR keyboards; even at full volume it is not meant to "crank"!

Lol...it was late, and I wasn't paying close attention, and I mistook the aux in level knob for an over all volume knob! I kept reaching back to tweak it up and make them louder...which of course did nothing.

I "get it" now...these speakers are not meant to blast out...they're meant to be pleasant and useful in a room, which they are 100%.

I am ALSO surprised that there is no parallel outputs in either the monitor, or the piano itself, to run to a DAW or a PA (??).

I had 2 A/B/Y boxes that I borrowed from my guitar rig, and they work great, so I'll order two more.

I would have preferred to see another way of taking a L&R out to record/PA...the speakers ARE very inspiring to play over, but the Grand needs to be cranked up pretty much to full volume. I had never seen speakers with no independent volume knob before.
johnpeer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby johnpeer » 25 Dec 2019, 17:00

There's the headphone out, of course, but I worry about clipping...especially as the Grand will be at full volume most of the time, and there is no independent level control for headphones...which my FP-8 DID have.

The A/B/Y solution is fine...but I don't quite understand why Nord made no allowance for using these monitors AND running to a PA/DAW?

I suppose these speakers they're not meant for playing live or recording? I don't understand that I guess. Are people buying these $4000 stage pianos and $750 speakers just to play in their living rooms??

At any rate, they sound (and feel) great! A/Bing them with my studio monitors was an eye opener: My Nord Grand sounded fantastic though my two sets of studio monitors...but it sounds FANTASTICKER through these monitors!

A bit pricey though.
Last edited by johnpeer on 25 Dec 2019, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
johnpeer

Postby johnpeer » 21 Jan 2020, 19:57

The Nord Monitors are not very loud. I have now ran a line from my mixer (Zoom L-12) so I can get more volume. Plus I can hear my entire mix through the Nords, and much louder. I also added a Polk subwoofer

Of course, it's not convenient to run through a mixer just to get a bit more volume.

Without it, just straight in, I find the piano must be turned up full. Not unlike many "home" piano setups, which are not designed to shake the walls.

But they certainly could have stood being a bit louder...just IMO.

The subwoofer helps a bit; I play at about 3/4 throttle, lol.
Last edited by johnpeer on 21 Jan 2020, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
johnpeer

Postby Kiilerich » 24 Jan 2020, 04:09

Hey. I have the same problem with my Grand and the piano monitor, but it is only the piano Sound that are low i volume . The string and organ Sound are 4 times louder then the piano Sound.. Can Someone help me ?
Kiilerich

Postby Fabam » 22 Apr 2020, 15:29

Just to confirm Johnpeer experience.
I also freshly connected my Nord Monitors to the Nord Grand and as a first I was surprised about how quiet they are.
However, after further usage and different program experiments it appear reallt to be load enough.
Surprisingly some instruments are much loader than others.
Fabam

Postby aakash » 22 Apr 2020, 23:58

I have a Grand and Piano Montors. When connecting via the 1/4'' jacks, yeah it is relatively low. Still plenty loud enough for playing within in a normal household or intimate environment.

Plug the Grand into monitors via the headphone jack out and input of the monitors and you can get a bit more volume out of 'em.
aakash

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum