This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Decisions, decisions (Piano Library)

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 21 Dec 2019, 17:10

lawman wrote:When I play Keith Emerson's piano coda in The Sheriff, or even when I want to play a little Scott Joplin, I may use the Saloon for a hoot (I can only take so much of that sound, however, even though it's not as jangly as the Baby).

Lawman,

That's great you can play The Sheriff!; I wish I could! Emo is/was a phenomenal keyboard player.

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 21 Dec 2019, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby lawman » 21 Dec 2019, 21:11

Hi, monsterjazzlicks,
It's a lot easier to learn The Sheriff if you have the sheet music. I found it in a cool dissertation by a doctoral candidate in music called "The Published Music of Keith Emerson: Expanding the Solo Piano Repertoire." A Google search turns up several citations to it, but almost all of them omit the 13 solo piano transcriptions it contains. Here's one that does contain those 72 pages: https://www.slideshare.net/LARAESTUDIO/elp-tarkus If you like Keith, you'll find this entire document interesting.

The author lawman was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
lawman

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 21 Dec 2019, 22:17

Many thanks lawman,

The Sheriff is damn well in A Major! And it says 'as fast as possible!'

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 22 Dec 2019, 01:42, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 22 Dec 2019, 03:30

Lawman,

You reminded me of a demo piece I made using the Yamaha DX21 synth. Lem may be interested to hear this as he is, like myself, an FM Synthesis fan:

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 22 Dec 2019, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby lawman » 23 Dec 2019, 10:28

monsterjazzlicks,
"Country Showtime" is a great piece of fun. Thanks for that. Now, you obviously were able to download the link I posted for the transcription of The Sheriff. When I go back to it now, however, I can't even view it or print it (at any size). Accordingly, here is a much better link to that entire document (which I recommend for its commentary and analysis as well as the 13 transcriptions): https://www.scribd.com/document/251538385/Keith-Emerson I should mention that the source for this link, scribd, is a paid subscription service, and so I probably wouldn't have posted it if I didn't in fact download it from a freely-available public site. You can get lots of hard-to-find music on scribd (such as authentic Broadway Piano/Conductor scores) as well as garden-variety music store arrangements.

The author lawman was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
lawman

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 23 Dec 2019, 23:41

lawman wrote:monsterjazzlicks,
"Country Showtime" is a great piece of fun. Thanks for that. Now, you obviously were able to download the link I posted for the transcription of The Sheriff. When I go back to it now, however, I can't even view it or print it (at any size). Accordingly, here is a much better link to that entire document (which I recommend for its commentary and analysis as well as the 13 transcriptions): https://www.scribd.com/document/251538385/Keith-Emerson I should mention that the source for this link, scribd, is a paid subscription service, and so I probably wouldn't have posted it if I didn't in fact download it from a freely-available public site. You can get lots of hard-to-find music on scribd (such as authentic Broadway Piano/Conductor scores) as well as garden-variety music store arrangements.

Hi Lawman,

Many thanks for listening to, and commenting on, my 'DX21' Yamaha synth demo.

And cheers for the additional Emo material.

I have never heard of Scribd before? To be honest, of the composers I am very interested in, their work is not featured on this particular site, which is a shame.

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 24 Dec 2019, 02:13, edited 2 times in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 07 Feb 2020, 00:24

Hi,

I got to test out my Nord with a 'live' band last night.

The 'White Grand' definitely does not work for me. The 'Royal Grand D' was much better, I found.

And so I will be replacing the former (maybe with the 'Silver') ...

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 07 Feb 2020, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby harmonizer » 07 Feb 2020, 01:05

monsterjazzlicks, can you share with us what type of band you were playing with? Was it jazz or rock/pop or something else, and what were the other instruments being played? Thanks.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 07 Feb 2020, 01:09

harmonizer wrote:monsterjazzlicks, can you share with us what type of band you were playing with? Was it jazz or rock/pop or something else, and what were the other instruments being played? Thanks.

Hi Harmonizer,

Ha ha, I thought the clue might be in my username!

I was depping with a big band (17 piece including myself). The repertoire was quite a lot of Count Basie and Duke Ellington, etc; with a handful of modern type charts thrown in here and there.

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 07 Feb 2020, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby daniel70 » 07 Feb 2020, 18:16

I always take the White Grand XL for some time now in all of my bands (Soul, Funk, Jazz) and it works great since i use the eq for high boost about +5. It plays and sounds so natural and cuts through, stereo as well as mono.

The author daniel70 was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
daniel70

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum