Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Accidental Rotary

Postby skywatcher_tnt » 17 Dec 2019, 16:33

I was playing live last night, and with just a regular piano patch. 3 separate times, as I'm playing chords on the lower register, one of my other fingers hit the rotary-on switch, and all of a sudden, the rotary effect comes on and really messes up my performance. Seems when I want leslie, it's struggle to turn it on, but when I'm just playing piano, I don't know why that switch would do anything unless I specifically turn that effect on. Is there a way to turn off this behavior?
skywatcher_tnt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Accidental Rotary

Sponsor

Re: Accidental Rotary

Postby afroskully » 17 Dec 2019, 16:50

ha... yeah, that happens to me too sometimes. some over exuberant playing sometimes enables an effect I don't want. the buttons close to the keys are easily turned on.. but just as easily turned off.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby sus_4 » 17 Dec 2019, 17:56

On your piano patch, assign the rotary to either organ or synth.
(Sorry... I was assuming you are playing a Stage. I'm not aware of a workaround if you're playing an Electro.)
Last edited by sus_4 on 17 Dec 2019, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby anotherscott » 18 Dec 2019, 15:09

The manual says "the Rotary effect is automatically activated when the Rotary speed control (SLOW/STOP, FAST) to the left of the Organ section is operated – if the Spkr/Comp unit is turned off." So a solution could be to turn the Spkr/Comp effect on, assigned to some sound you're not playing (organ or synth) so that it will have no audible effect but it will stop the rotary button from doing anything if you hit it.
anotherscott

Postby dizcotec » 17 Oct 2022, 09:43

Is there still no solution for this for the Electro 6D? It really gets messy when you’re playing in live mode and there is no way for you to turn it off again. Why would anyone use a rotary effect for piano anyways?
dizcotec

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 17 Oct 2022, 10:55

Well the real solution is to play the keys and not the buttons on the panel :mrgreen: anyway you can turn it off again if it accidentally happens, why are you saying you can't?

In general, unless the problem is the Rotary switch having become too sensitive and triggering with vibration (which would require replacing or fixing it) but also in that case, the workaround of assigning the Speaker/comp effect to a section not in use is a good one or even better, if all sections are in use, you can also assign it as Comp set at minimum, so that the Slow/Stop- Fast button will become inactive.
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Oct 2022, 11:07, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Schorsch » 17 Oct 2022, 11:13

dizcotec wrote:Why would anyone use a rotary effect for piano anyways?

Why not? Maybe not for acoustic grands or uprights, but a Rhodes, a Wurlitzer or other electronic/digital pianos can sound very interesting through the rotary effect
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Postby Eriknie » 17 Oct 2022, 12:12

dizcotec wrote:
Why would anyone use a rotary effect for piano anyways?

if you play Pink Floyd's "Echoes"...
NP5-73, NS3C
QSheets: The fastest sheet display tool in the world that plays Audio and send Program Changes: https://QSheets.eriknie.synology.me
FixLoop: Add Loop Points of Wav Files into the Nord Sample Editor: https://github.com/erik-nie/FixLoop-NSE
Eriknie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby dizcotec » 17 Oct 2022, 14:07

Eriknie wrote:
dizcotec wrote:
Why would anyone use a rotary effect for piano anyways?

if you play Pink Floyd's "Echoes"...

:yourock: YES, of course!
dizcotec

Postby dizcotec » 17 Oct 2022, 14:08

maxpiano wrote:Well the real solution is to play the keys and not the buttons on the panel :mrgreen: anyway you can turn it off again if it accidentally happens, why are you saying you can't?

In general, unless the problem is the Rotary switch having become too sensitive and triggering with vibration (which would require replacing or fixing it) but also in that case, the workaround of assigning the Speaker/comp effect to a section not in use is a good one or even better, if all sections are in use, you can also assign it as Comp set at minimum, so that the Slow/Stop- Fast button will become inactive.

Where do you turn it off? I couldn’t find anything in the manual and have no idea how. The maximum that you can do is stop the rotary, but the effect is still on and quite audible.
dizcotec

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum