This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: OLED screen buzzing

Postby CelticSoulMan » 11 Dec 2019, 15:28

Hey Lew,
It’s not phasing as such, but spacial frequencies when turning the mic source to replicate head movement. There’s a low pitch hum from the rear transformer, and a high pitched hum from the numeric pad under the led screen.
It is especially distracting at night, while I’m song-writing, because of the quietness (apart from traffic noise in distance).
I’ve already said I’d pay for return postage to Sound Tech because I’ve no choice about that, running it out there myself is problematic as I’ve carers duties during day, but the conversation between UK & Nord tech seems not wish to consider it a fault. This begs the question for any issue, how does a user prove a fault in the first place? My previous Kurzweil was losing polyphony during chord sustain, and Sound tech just refused to acknowledge issue.
I’m not doing this for some weird time wasting exercise.
CelticSoulMan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby ajstan » 11 Dec 2019, 16:16

A few thoughts/questions:
- It appears that Sound Tech isn't as responsive and helpful as the US distributors with whom I work.
- The fact that the unit was silent when you received it but is now making noise means something has changed, either with your unit or the environment it's in.
- I think the best way to prove fault is to capture a video of an SPL meter to record the difference between the unit being on and off.
- Have you tried running your unit in a different location and does it make the same noise there? Is it possible that it's the power in your home that's causing the issue?
- I hate to say it, but if the unit is distractingly loud in a quiet room and you can't get it fixed or replaced, then your best bet is to just return it. It would suck to be annoyed every time you turned it on.

Good luck. Hope things work out for you.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CelticSoulMan » 17 Dec 2019, 00:45

Hey Lew,
Sorry been gigging and away from forum.
Yes, your experience sounds not untypical. What I haven’t said was this is already my second Nord Grand, as the first had an unregulated keybed that was uneven and covered in dark fingerprint grease stains, so I’m trying not to return a “good” keyboard. The dealer is a top chap, and really don’t wish to create more problems for him and he’s offered to swap the unit for another. I’m awaiting to see if ST will issue a warranty ticket but I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll wait a couple more days.
Regarding the problem, it’s the transformer for sure, humming away at back. When the screen darkens the front high pitch reduces.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lew.
Cheers
CelticSoulMan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum