Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Connecting a keyboard to the kick drum tone

Postby electrolegs » 01 Dec 2019, 16:07

Hi

I want to go between triggering the kick drum tone simultaneously by using my keyboard to trigger notes on the kick drum in tune with the song, and also jump onto the pad and have it keep the same note I last played on the kayboard.

But annoyingly it looks like it throws the whole pad off scale since it will no longer be set to note 60 if I use cc's to change the tone pitch once a note is triggered from my keyboard.

Anyone found a way around this??
Last edited by electrolegs on 01 Dec 2019, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
electrolegs

Connecting a keyboard to the kick drum tone

Sponsor

Re: Connecting a keyboard to the kick drum tone

Postby wartaler » 02 Dec 2019, 19:48

Hi electrolegs!

You can play melodies/bass lines using the Individual MIDI channel of your bass drum sound, but whenever you return playing the pad it will not continue with the last note you played on the keyboard. The Tone pitch setting (either with CCs or with the knob) determines the pitch which is applied when playing the pad, or note 60, ('central' C) on a keyboard. Playing other notes on the keyboard will not change the pitch setting itself.
Perhaps with an app or device you can modify the MIDI coming from your keyboard, sending the right CCs to get the pitch for the corresponding note, combined with note 60 (regardless of which note originally played on the keyboard). Which may not be that easy to accomplish.

Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby electrolegs » 04 Dec 2019, 04:00

hi Albert

Thanks for your reply.

So, I made progress. I have a midi solutions box I can program to map / filter CCs and notes. So I now have control of the pitch tone on the kick drums but the gotcha is that I need to filter all note info and only send the keyboard ccs. That now is great if I want to change the note on the keyboard and have it stay on the nord. However the problem is that it doesn't trigger the kick now on the keyboard. My workaround for now is to run out of my keyboard CV gate to the kick in which works, but I'm getting a trigger with both on and off notes. Ideally I can keep this in midi

Any way to trigger a pad on the nord without using a note number?

Best
electrolegs

Postby wartaler » 04 Dec 2019, 19:36

Hi,
I don't know the capabilities of that box, but if you could also send note 60 regardless of which key you play, next to sending the CCs, it should work,

Triggering with CV requires a spike shaped envelope, you'll need an envelope generator. Because with a gate/square/pulse type of signal on the input, it will be triggered when the voltage goes from 0v to 5v and again when it goes from 5v to 0v, unless the pulse is very short.

Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby electrolegs » 05 Dec 2019, 00:29

Brilliant I will try sending note 60 a well as the CC values. Sounds like the order of operations will be important! Will report back
electrolegs

Postby electrolegs » 09 Dec 2019, 03:09

Quick update.

Setting the note to 60 and sending that along with the tone pitch CCs mean you can achieve controlling the tone of the kick in real time from a keyboard and have it stay locked to the last note played.

Perfect!

The author electrolegs was thanked by:
wartaler
electrolegs

Return to Nord Drum Forum