This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Downsizing

Postby Ritchie333 » 02 Dec 2019, 19:43

I need to downsize my rig.

I love my Nord Stage 2 + Fatar Studiologic SL990 XP and don't particularly want to gig with anything else, except they're both (especially the Studiologic) on the heavy side. I carry both of them in hard cases, which dates from when I was playing in an international touring function band that had dim-witted roadies throw gear in an out of a Mercedes Sprinter van. These days, I lug them myself in my car.

Earlier this year, I manage to trap a nerve on my back after unloading gear following a gig, which meant I had to drop out of gigging. I the event, I was lucky that it healed up within a week and I missed no gigs, but since then I have been conscious that all the time I am lugging these hard cases around, I am running of the risk of doing myself an injury.

So what options have I got? I can replace the hard cases with soft ones (since I'm now taking all my gear to gigs, which is unlikely to change), and get a newer Studiologic, which I understand is about 5K lighter. I could swap to a semi-weighted 73 controller, which I'd have no problems lifting but just doesn't give me the full range of piano I seem to need these days. Or I could bite the bullet and get a hammer action Stage 3, which I assume would operate reasonably well with the Stage 2 still on top for controls.

Any other ideas?
Ritchie333

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Downsizing

Sponsor

Re: Downsizing

Postby hilbilly parade » 02 Dec 2019, 22:07

I can say that at first i wanted to not part with 88 keys in my rig but i decided to go with compact 73 due to weight and i really wanted waterfall keys, since making the decision i never run out of keys to play the feel is excellent after touch and velocity curves cover anything that i ask of it. I play a lot of shows every year so this thing is getting its time in and i feel the key bed will withstand whatever i dish out.
hilbilly parade
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby ajstan » 02 Dec 2019, 22:18

It may be helpful for you to read the following thread from Keyboard Corner regarding options for a lighter two-board rig:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... ost3015511

Depending upon your budget, a 10kg NS3 (or NS2) compact on top and either an 11.2kg Casio PX-S3000 or 13.01kg Kurzweil PC4 as a weighted 88 on the bottom could be a good solution. For extra weight savings consider the 2.1kg K&M 18880 stand with an 18881 second tier.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 03 Dec 2019, 02:05

Well, I am now over 60, and have long been focused on rig weight reduction as I have to haul my own gear plus usually the band PA.

Some lessons learned? My setup isn't ultimate, but it's good enough for what I do, which is a bunch of different bar bands.

I would suggest ditching the hard cases, unless you're touring with roadies. I have gigged with the better soft cases for many years as a weekend warrior, no roadies. Love the stylish Nord bags for my keys. There might be cheaper out there, but there isn't better. Zero problems, huge weight savings vs. hard cases. As long as you're schlepping your own gear, all will be well. I gig my boards pretty hard, and they're all in great shape. The soft cases are starting to show wear, though. First world problem.

I tend to focus on the weight per piece vs. the weight of the entire rig. For example, I play with a Nord Piano 2 for my bottom controller (88 keys, weighted) and find it quite manageable at 40 lbs or 18 Kg. I've learned how to lift and navigate it without harmingAdd a featherweight NS3C which generates all the sounds, an impossibly light Stay keyboard stand, a few pedals and it's all good. No outboard gear whatsoever, although I have a bunch of that if needed.

Actually, the hard choice for me is with respect to amplification, not keyboards. The CPS SSv3 is a great go-to amp. but it feels heavy, even though it's only 33 lbs. I can alternatively haul a pair of powered 8" PA speakers (QSC, RCF) and their poles and every component is relatively light. Just more gear to schlep in the context of schlepping the PA and lights. Simple is good, hence the SSv3 gets a whole lotta outings.

Yes, a lighter rig is helpful, as also is a stronger body. I work out regularly, including my core muscles which are responsible for most of the gear schlepping. I used to get nerve pinches all the time a few years back as younger dude, but no more. Light enough gear -- plus a strong enough body -- should do me until I'm 70.

Well, that's the plan anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

-- Chuck
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby twofarmers » 03 Dec 2019, 06:03

Same story here. I went from a Yamaha S80 in a hard case to a Nord Electro 73HP in a rigid soft case. I think the S80 was 64 pounds and the hard case added about another 40. Pulled a rotator cuff from the shoulder a couple of years ago and made the move to lighter stuff. Maybe should have looked at the Stage 76HA to get a little better keybed action, but the HP works great for me and weighs 25 pounds. However, I don't want to give up on my QSC K10's even though there may be a lighter monitor rig. But I've found a great mono sound using the Radial RDI summing direct box, so I'm moving to a single monitor instead of stereo when we use the larger front system. Mostly, moving drum hardware is the worst part of the load in/out!
twofarmers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 03 Dec 2019, 23:02

ajstan wrote:It may be helpful for you to read the following thread from Keyboard Corner regarding options for a lighter two-board rig:

Depending upon your budget, a 10kg NS3 (or NS2) compact on top and either an 11.2kg Casio PX-S3000 or 13.01kg Kurzweil PC4 as a weighted 88 on the bottom could be a good solution. For extra weight savings consider the 2.1kg K&M 18880 stand with an 18881 second tier.

Yup. But I probably wouldn't pick the PX-S3000, since its lack of a MIDI jack means you couldn't use it directly to play the Nord pianos. If you need something cheaper than the Kurzweil PC4, I'd look at their SP6, or from Casio, a PX-5S, or maybe the PX-560/PX-360 which don't have as much built in MIDI flexibility, but should be workable.
anotherscott

Postby ajstan » 03 Dec 2019, 23:19

anotherscott wrote:
ajstan wrote:It may be helpful for you to read the following thread from Keyboard Corner regarding options for a lighter two-board rig:

Yup. But I probably wouldn't pick the PX-S3000, since its lack of a MIDI jack means you couldn't use it directly to play the Nord pianos. If you need something cheaper than the Kurzweil PC4, I'd look at their SP6, or from Casio, a PX-5S, or maybe the PX-560/PX-360 which don't have as much built in MIDI flexibility, but should be workable.

Good point. I should have added that you need an interface like this to connect the PX-S3000 to the Nord:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NGTGHN

It's not as clean and is an extra piece to plug in, but it provides additional options.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum