Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Recording with Pro Tools

Postby jackwenstrup » 02 Dec 2019, 03:24

Hey everyone,

I am new to recording keyboards into DAWs and have some questions about how to do so. I've read the manuals and other posts I can find about this, but still can't really grasp how to do what I am trying to do. I am using a Nord Stage 3 to record into Pro Tools. My main goal is to record the MIDI data and actual sounds from the Nord into pro tools. This is so I can easily edit/quantize the data, but still use the sound from the Nord and not some VST plugin. Right now I have my Nord plugged into my computer via USB and into my Focusrite 2i2 with an instrument cable. From what I understand I need to record the MIDI data first and then somehow re-record it once it is edited/quantized with the sound I want, but I'm not sure how to do that. Right now I have a MIDI track open in pro tools, which makes it so that I can record my MIDI data and since I also have my Nord plugged into my interface via instrument cable, I am able to hear my track back with whatever sound I have open on the Nord. This is where I am stuck. I want to be able to record that MIDI data back with the Nord sound so that it is actually saved on a track. If I were to turn off my Nord, my MIDI track wouldn't play any sounds back. I may be doing this all totally wrong, but I just can't seem to figure out any way to record audio onto that MIDI track and save it so that if I turn off my Nord, the audio from the Nord is still playing on the audio track. Sorry if this is really confusing, I'm new to recording keyboards with MIDI data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
jackwenstrup

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Recording with Pro Tools

Sponsor

Re: Recording with Pro Tools

Postby hilbilly parade » 02 Dec 2019, 03:59

First thing i would check is to make sure both tracks are selected to record when laying down the track.
hilbilly parade
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby jackwenstrup » 02 Dec 2019, 04:18

Yes, both tracks are enabled to record. The problem with the way I am recording now, which is one MIDI track and one audio track, is that I want the audio track to be in line with the changes I make with the MIDI track, if that makes sense. I don't want to just have an audio track of the sound because then I can not change the velocity like I can with a MIDI track. My goal is to get an audio track with whatever sound I want from the Nord that is responding to the changes I made with the MIDI data so that it is perfectly in time.
jackwenstrup

Postby baekgaard » 02 Dec 2019, 08:35

Your question is not really nord specific, so you may want to read up on pro tools in general.

But if you have the MIDI track recorded and edited then you simply need to play the MIDI track back to the Nord while simultaneously recording the output off the Nord into an audio track.

I don't use pro tools, but most DAW do this by record enabling the audio track (and not the MIDI track at that time) and rewind and hit the record button.
Last edited by baekgaard on 02 Dec 2019, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
jackwenstrup
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Schorsch » 02 Dec 2019, 12:58

Make sure you enable the MIDI track only for recording at the first step, not both Midi and audio. After recording the MIDI track and editing it the way you want you enable the audio track only for recording, rewind to the start and do the recording again. This should start the MIDI track playing the Nord and in parallel record the audio output of the Nord.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by 2 members, including:
jackwenstrupBerretje
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum