Share and download User samples (*.nsmp or *.nwiproj and sample files) created for the Nord Wave, Nord Electro 3/4, Nord Stage 2, and the new Nord Piano 2.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Re: [DEV] Nord User Sample Library Development Thread

Postby PScooter63 » 30 Nov 2019, 06:58

spookycookie wrote:Absolutely. I'll add a category and description for each patch. Is it safe to assume that there will only be one main category for each patch?

You know, that's a great question.

On other non-music projects, I often use "tags", rather than a single category... like the source model (e.g., Prophet5); perhaps the artist that popularized it; decade; author of the patch? All separate reusable tags, a many-to-many relationship.

If it was originally a synth patch, perhaps a callback to the original patch name in the description?

Finally, I don't know how many people revisit their patches after letting them out in the wild, but I wonder if a version number would make sense.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

Postby Schorsch » 30 Nov 2019, 12:05

Versioning would be good, especially if it could be done by holding different versions of a sample in the same data set. These could also be samples from different people for the same sound/song but with slightly different flavor.

Another questions: is this meant to hold just samples or also programs? I would prefer the latter, including links to samples used in each program instead of holding programs and samples in the same data set - if this is possible without blowing up the project too much
Regards Schorsch

The best in music is not in the notes.

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
.... and more (GAS :roll: ) ...
Schorsch
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Berretje » 30 Nov 2019, 12:36

spookycookie wrote:
Spider wrote:Unfortunately I cannot contribute about the technical issues. I just wanted to back up cphollis suggestions about the needed features: I think what would really differentiate the new database from the present one, is a good "Search" function.
So I think it would be essential that in order to upload a sample, the user must provide not only an mp3 sample but also a category (Brass, Pad etc) and a brief description like "octave trumpet-sax section with vibrato". I think it can be done easily by simply setting those fields as "required" in the input form.
And if those fields will be searchable, it will greatly improve the usability of the database.

Absolutely. I'll add a category and description for each patch. Is it safe to assume that there will only be one main category for each patch?

Good one. Is it possible to create an admin/management page where forum admins can edit/add such things as new categories, New columns, etc?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
♫♪ ~ "That organ isn't humming; it's just on." ~♫♪
Coverband Blush
NS2 | Yam. Tyros 5
Berretje
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby spookycookie » 30 Nov 2019, 16:31

Some great ideas guys. Based on users input so far, I'd like to have 2 releases to get to a minimum viable product.
This is my attempt to reign in all the ideas before it gets out of control!
I have opted for the word 'Patch' becasue it can apply to Programs, Samples. A Patch is basically a searchable item (collection of files).
So a Patch might be a sample, or a program with sample, or multiple programs (ns1, ns2, ns3) and a sample. If you follow my logic.

MVP Release 1

Data Model - We store a 'patch' defined like this:
  • Name
  • Description
  • Primary category
  • InstrumentType (Stage1, Stage2, Stage3, Lead, Electro3, etc ) just a guideline for compatibility ?
  • Tags (multiple text) to help user searches i.e. Song Name, Artist Name, alternative categories etc
  • Download Files (multiple) nord patch, nord sample(s), demo mp3
  • Original upload link (optional if originating from this forum)
  • Uploader's username/ID
Features
  • Existing NUF users can login using existing user/pass from this forum (their logins will be ported over).
  • New users can signup directly on the new site (but this will not create a NUF account)
  • New NUF users can potentially can be added to new system automatically (TBC)
  • Existing patches will be populated in the new system. This will take some time to complete, even transfering the data correctly from NUF to new system will take some colaboration and effort.
  • Existing Patches data will be searchable and browsable.
  • Only includes existing patches from NUF, no ability to upload new ones to extend the library

MVP Release 2
New patches can be created and uploaded by users (drag and drop files) , and editable by the author.
The primary category list becomes extendable by admins.
Star rating (need to agree how this will work)
Versioning

Future features
New custom columns added by admins is probably out of scope for now, it would potentially require database schema changes and a deployment/release to accomodate this! (And I have enough to worry about)
So if additional columns/info are required at a later date I would undertake the work if theres sufficient demand for it!
Opening up the platform to other keyboards (non Nord)
User profiles / avatars?
Any ideas welcome, but I think there should be a way to vote/prioritise on what gets rolled out in the future.

Lets try to get the columns (data model) correct now, else it will take over my life :crazy:
Last edited by spookycookie on 01 Dec 2019, 19:17, edited 2 times in total.

The author spookycookie was thanked by 5 members, including:
PScooter63JohannesEliasBerretjeSpider
spookycookie

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby spookycookie » 01 Dec 2019, 18:18

Category List - can you provide what you'd like to see here. My thoughts were it should match the category options in the instrument(s) - but I have not checked this yet.. so off the top off my head in no particular order...

None = 0,
Synth = 1,
Lead = 2,
Strings = 3,
Brass = 4,
Pads = 5,
Bass = 6,
Guitar = 7,
Drums = 8,
Percussion = 9

can someone give me a better/ complete list
spookycookie

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 01 Dec 2019, 20:51

What about the following (some are already existing Nord categories):

Effects
Electronic
Ethnic
Organ
Wind
Vocal
Upright
Pluck
Grand
Fantasy
Epiano
Clavinet
Arpeggio
Acoustic
Nature

User

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
spookycookie
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Previous

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp samples)