General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode - SOLVED

Postby Al_DeKlein » 01 Dec 2019, 05:45

Keyboards: Stage 3 Compact being controlled by a Casio PX-5S via MIDI (PX-5S MIDI Out to NS3C MIDI In).

Setup: NS3C in Dual KB x Panel mode. EFFECTS 2 assigned to the PIANO section of PANEL B.

Issue: When I play the PX-5S (MIDI controller only), the sound pops-clicks and the EFFECTS 2 assignment LED cycles between ORGAN, PIANO and SYNTH sections with keystrokes of the controller. Note – this issue does not happen in Duak KB x Piano mode.

Question: Can anyone else replicate this glitch or know a solution? I've tried seaching the Stage forum, but was unable find a post on this issue.
Last edited by Al_DeKlein on 01 Dec 2019, 18:40, edited 3 times in total.
Al_DeKlein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode - SOLVED

Sponsor

Re: NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode

Postby baekgaard » 01 Dec 2019, 17:47

Sound like you second keyboard may be sending more than pure MIDI note on and off. And the NS3 then interprets those as change of effect.

Have you tried to connect a computer and looked at what MIDI data it sends? Maybe there are some controllers that can be set up to be sent bc from the board? Maybe sustain also maps to something else? It aftertouch?

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
Al_DeKlein
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode

Postby Al_DeKlein » 01 Dec 2019, 18:39

baekgaard wrote:Sound like you second keyboard may be sending more than pure MIDI note on and off. And the NS3 then interprets those as change of effect.

Have you tried to connect a computer and looked at what MIDI data it sends? Maybe there are some controllers that can be set up to be sent bc from the board? Maybe sustain also maps to something else? It aftertouch?

Thanks for the response baekgaard! You were on the right track, in that the issue was the MIDI data being sent by the PX-5S. Here's the trouble shooting I did and the solution i just found:
1) I hooked the NS3C to a different controller, in this case an Arturia Keylab 88, and the issue went away.
2) Tracked down the CC number that changes the EFFECT 2 engine selection in the NS3C User Manual appendix and found it to be CC88.
3) Tried to disable CC88 on the PX-5S, but could not find this CC number in the available parameters.
4) Went to the Casio PX-5S User Forum, searched for CC88 and found the issue to be Hi-Definition MIDI data transmission sent to external devices or software.
5) Went into the PX-5S System Settings and turned off the the MIDI Hi-Def parameter.
Problem solved!

Moral to this story, for me, is that User Forums are such a valuable resource and all that participate in them should be commended... keep posting people!
Hopefully this post will help another user who may have a similar issue, even if you have a different controller.

The author Al_DeKlein was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodonbaekgaard
Al_DeKlein

Re: NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode - SOL

Postby baekgaard » 01 Dec 2019, 19:00

Good to hear! Thanks for the follow-up post too :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS3C glitch with Effects 2 in Dual KB x Panel mode - SOL

Postby discodev » 10 Jan 2020, 20:14

Hey, glad you figured out the issue. I have a NS3C and was looking at the Casio PX-5S as a weighted controller for it, and maybe using some of the Casio sounds as well. How do you like the Casio?
discodev

Return to Nord Stage Forum