Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.

portable "gadget-synths"

Postby Elias » 14 Nov 2019, 22:27

I was exploring all the different Yamaha Reface and Roland Boutique synths and I'm looking for some synth to play around with when travelling or something, one that I could just carry around in my backpack.

I have got a Stage 3 Compact and I was thinking if there is anything that it is lacking other than actual FM synthesis and multitimbral capabilities. It could wither have its own keyboard or only MIDI in.

If there is something, is there some mini synth that could fill that void and also ruction as a "toy"?

With regards, A young synth newbie
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

portable "gadget-synths"

Sponsor

Re: portable "gadget-synths"

Postby Rusty Mike » 14 Nov 2019, 23:20

The Stage synth section has some rudimentary FM capabilities. It's not a full 6-operator synth, but it can make some pretty good sounds using FM.

The Stage is also quite multitimbral and capable of some complex programming.

Finding something to carry in your backpack for casual times is another matter. Are you more oriented toward piano, organ or synth? I tend to use an iRig keyboard connected to my iPad. I have both the "mini" and "pro" sizes.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Re: portable "gadget-synths"

Postby Elias » 14 Nov 2019, 23:45

Rusty Mike wrote:The Stage synth section has some rudimentary FM capabilities. It's not a full 6-operator synth, but it can make some pretty good sounds using FM.

The Stage is also quite multitimbral and capable of some complex programming.

Finding something to carry in your backpack for casual times is another matter. Are you more oriented toward piano, organ or synth? I tend to use an iRig keyboard connected to my iPad. I have both the "mini" and "pro" sizes.

By multitimbral I meant like 16-patch layers and that kind of stuff that I already can do on my Juno DS-61 (if the Stage 3 is not enough, which it in most cases is). I'm also planning on buying a Yamaha MODX for FM stuff.

I'm mainly thinking about synthesizers and especially something with as much potential "pound for pound" as possible. It doesn't have to be a perfect recreation of a Model D or anything like that. More like a JP-08 but with more polyphony than 4 voices.
Last edited by Elias on 14 Nov 2019, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Off Topic / About this Forum