General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage3 - does the program up/dn foot pedal input send midi?

Postby PeteH » 11 Nov 2019, 02:37

Hi,

I'm trying to find an economical way to implement footswitches to send midi information to a Mac for use in Mainstage. Does the stage 3 send a midi message out when a program up/dn pedal (not sustain) is pressed or is that strictly a function to change program/song steps internally? I've looked in the manual and not found the answer. Thanks
Last edited by PeteH on 11 Nov 2019, 02:46, edited 4 times in total.
PeteH

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage3 - does the program up/dn foot pedal input send midi?

Sponsor

Re: Stage3 - does the program up/dn foot pedal input send m

Postby maxpiano » 11 Nov 2019, 10:03

Hi,

that pedal generates an internal action only, since there is no MIDI CC associated to that command and on NS3 it is not possible to associate it to any other MIDI message. The other foot switches (Rotary, Sustain/Sostenuto/Soft) regularly generate their respective MIDI CCs instead.

If you search this forum for "NS3 program up down" you will find some older discussions on this topic.

PS: bear in mind that Nord Stage is not a workstation and its controller capabilities are mainly related to what the Extern section can do, apart of course sending its standard CCs associated to the rest of NS3 controls over the NS3 Global Channel (but those CCs are fixed/non configurable, the list is in the NS3 manual)
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Nov 2019, 10:15, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Berretje
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby PeteH » 11 Nov 2019, 16:30

Thanks for the info. So now I guess I'm looking for a couple of midi pedals.
PeteH

Postby anotherscott » 11 Nov 2019, 16:58

As I understand it, the Nord's Program Up/Down footswitch will change, not just the Nord's internal sound, but also the sound of any attached MIDI device that is set to the Nord's global channel (default = 1). Max is right that there's no MIDI up-down being generated, but if the pedal changes the internal sound from, for example, its patch 3 to its patch 4, then--since the Nord's default behavior is to transmit Program Change on the global channel--the external device should also change from its patch 3 to its patch 4, just as if you were to change the Nord from its patch 3 to its patch 4 by pressing the corresponding front panel program select button.

If you want the recalled Nord program to call up something other than the exact identically-numbered patch in your other device, then move that device to a channel other than the global channel, and program the desired patch number for the external device into one of the EXT settings for that Nord program, on the channel you have set that device to. So you can create a series of increment-by-one Nord programs that each bring up whatever program you'd like on the external device... they can be sequential on that device as well, or not, it makes no difference.

At least this is my understanding, not having done it myself.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum