Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord 3p not responding to midi

Postby h4ndcrafted » 06 Nov 2019, 15:42

Hi , just bought a 3p and it’s great fun , but I can’t get it to respond to midi, it’s recording it fine.

Latest firmware, only bought yesterday. I’m using Ableton, I have all ins selected , the Nord is on global ch10, I have my interface (Roland um one) set to ch10. Just want to play back note data , have cc’s off on the Nord.

I have also tried seq from my pioneer SP16 from channel 10, again no response.
My midi interface is working fine with other instruments, so it’s not that. The cables are hard wired and working so it’s not those.

Is there a setting I’m missing ?

Also channel note is set to 60 , which is c4, but in live when I’m recording from the Nord , data starts from c3 ?

Some help would be really appreciated, cheers.
Last edited by h4ndcrafted on 06 Nov 2019, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
h4ndcrafted

Nord 3p not responding to midi

Sponsor

Re: Nord 3p not responding to midi

Postby wartaler » 06 Nov 2019, 22:18

Hi h4ndcrafted, welcome to the forum!

That sounds strange, if you play back the same notes that you recorded, it should respond, that is if all is connected properly and cables are fine.

Two things that I can think of:
1) Is the 'Individual MIDI channel' switched off [Ch.OF] on each drum channel? If one or more happen to be on MIDI channel 10 as well, you may get some sort of conflict as the drum channel will be triggered twice at the same time while it's monophonic.. not sure if this results in no sound at all..

2) MIDI note 60 corresponds with C3 or C4 depending on which standard is used; Yamaha or Roland. So when you're programming a drum pattern in a sequencer, you should perhaps try both octaves..

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Nov 2019, 23:23, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby h4ndcrafted » 07 Nov 2019, 03:39

Thank you.

Yes, all channels are set to off, global is set to 10.

You think I might have a broken Midi in on the Nord ? Not sure what else to try.
Last edited by h4ndcrafted on 07 Nov 2019, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
h4ndcrafted

Postby wartaler » 07 Nov 2019, 21:18

You tried 2 different hardware devices to send MIDI data, you checked that MIDI channel and notes match (or even better, used MIDI notes that were recorded from your 3p) I can't think of anything else to be honest..
wartaler

Postby Mr_-G- » 07 Nov 2019, 21:29

More options...

First make sure that other MIDI hardware is detected by using:
a MIDI tester

http://practicalusage.com/midi-experime ... di-tester/

or a MIDI monitor program

Then try the Nord.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby wartaler » 09 Nov 2019, 17:23

I agree,

There is no 100% guarantee that if a USB-MIDI interface works with some gear, it will work with all, but I've heard of such inconsistencies mostly with the cheaply made ones. I don't know the Roland one, but I think their hardware is usually of reasonable, if not good quality. However, I can be mistaken, and/or yours could be malfunctioning, so I agree with Mr G., it's always good to double check your hardware and cables and/or try other interfaces/hardware. (nice diy test device suggestion btw.). You also had no luck with the Pioneer SP16 sequencer, it's a good idea to test the SP16 (and the MIDI cable) with other gear, if you hadn't already..

Regardless which hardware setup you use, the MIDI notes that you're sending should match with the ones set in the 3p MIDI settings (usually 60, 62, etc.) Since there may be some confusion about the octave, it's a good idea to double check if you're not one octave off, that's when MIDI monitoring software can be very handy, connect the MIDI out of your SP16 to the IN of your MIDI interface, and see what the SP16 is actually sending, and if it actually arrives at the other end of the MIDI cable.

If you checked all that, and there is no problem there, and the Nord still does not respond, I would contact your dealer/distributor to have it checked..

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 10 Nov 2019, 11:59, edited 6 times in total.
wartaler

Postby h4ndcrafted » 10 Nov 2019, 14:12

Thanks guys.

As far as midi notes go , I did run a clip with every midi note in it just to make sure.

I’ve never had a midi device work with somethings and not others tbh, but there is always a first time!

I checked the Roland , no need to check cables as they are hard wired to the interface. It works with both I/o on all my other instruments.
My ob-6, odyssey, modular synth, 808 and machinedrum.

I’ve sent it back now, so the store will inform me if it’s user or interface error , I suspect it’s a bad midi in on the Nord, but we will see.
I have 6 years cover, so I’m all good there.

I’ll inform you what happened.

Cheers :thumbup:
Last edited by h4ndcrafted on 10 Nov 2019, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
h4ndcrafted

Postby wartaler » 10 Nov 2019, 14:48

Thanks for the update!
I meant the MIDI cable to connect the SP16 to the 3p.
I've read a report that some Yamaha keyboards do connect normally with cheap MIDI interfaces like the ones described here http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap- ... -required/ while other Yamaha keyboards don't, possibly depending on the MIDI in port circuit, can't find that story anymore, but I think your MIDI interface is better than these..
Yes, keep us posted, thanks!
Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 10 Nov 2019, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
wartaler

Return to Nord Drum Forum