Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

See settings/parameters

Postby bws2002 » 05 Nov 2019, 16:48

This seems like it should be simple, but I can't figure it out. Is there a way in Sound Manager or otherwise to see all the parameters of a preset? I'm curious to look at some EQ settings and other things in the factory presets.
bws2002

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

See settings/parameters

Sponsor

Re: See settings/parameters

Postby baekgaard » 05 Nov 2019, 18:42

Unfortunately not. Depending on the model you have, you may be able to read settings of the dials and knobs by holding down shift or monitor and then touch it. But you would need to load the program into your board first.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
bws2002
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pablomastodon » 05 Nov 2019, 19:49

No, Nord Sound Manager does not provide that functionality. It is a "macro" tool, not a "micro" one. To learn the current value of any parameter, first press and hold the SHIFT button, then turn the knob of the desired parameter. This will display one parameter value at a time. Not possible to view ALL parameter values at the same time.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
bws2002
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby bws2002 » 06 Nov 2019, 00:48

That's helpful; seeing them one at a time works for me.
bws2002

Postby pablomastodon » 06 Nov 2019, 18:22

Many/most other kbd instruments rely heavily on menu-diving structures for programming. Because of this, having a software product via which individual program parameters can be addressed is a HUGE help to people with those instruments. In the "early days" when instruments were migrating from analog to digital it was very common for some synth makers to offer a companion hardware piece to their synths. For example, the Roland MKS series (MKS-80, MKS-70, MKS-50) all had these breakout boxes populated with knobs and buttons and sliders for adjusting program parameters in real time. Since then, some clever software people have created software programs which replicate these boxes, which is very helpful for the folks who own those instruments and don't have the breakout box.

But Nord builds the breakout box into the front panel of the instrument. Using a mouse or computer keyboards to adjust program parameters on a Nord will never be as simple, easy and straightforward as grabbing the knob/button/drawbar on the face of the Nord. I suspect this is why Nord does not feel the need to create software for the purpose of program-level editing.

That said, I agree that it would be nice in some situations to have a software which was capable of program-level editing. Some have used CTRLR for this with good results.

To my mind, the ability to use NSM to manipulate a backup file when not connected to the instrument would be an even bigger help. One could take one's existing backup file, and move programs around, delete some pianos or samples or programs, just generally reorganize things and create a new backup file which was loadable. That would be an awesome way to make use of one's time in a plane or car while heading to a gig somewhere.

Bless, Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 06 Nov 2019, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby mon8169 » 07 Nov 2019, 10:55

pablomastodon wrote: Some have used CTRLR for this with good results.

I second this! If you create your panel you'll be able to see all parameters at once.

You can see some info here:

nord-stage-forum-f3/a-patch-editor-for-the-nord-stage-based-on-ctrlr-t1580.html

best regards
Ramon
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
mon8169
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Nord Electro Forum