General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3 STRANGE POLYPHONY PROBLEMS - OS 2.22 - VIDEO

Postby baekgaard » 29 Jul 2019, 11:04

Right, so this appears (possibly) reproducible and is apparently caused by simultaneously playing the bass and the pad that's laying in the background. Long decay times and/or liberaly use of the sustain pedal is what causes the Nord to run out of polyphony (release approaches 1 sec for the pad), and apparently it can also "kill the bass" on the attack, even if it is more or loss monophonic. I think I MAY have seen one or two instance of this now, playing the program above in a manner similar to the above.

It seems like you can disable the piano and everything else apart from the pad and the pass, and just play a repeated pad in the right hand and a repeated bass pattern in the left while holding down the sustain pedal (that should obviously only be enable for the pad) and still see the error.

As a possible workaround, try to make the bass monophonic (i.e. change mode to Mono); this MAY alter the way it allocates voices. I don't think I could provoke the error with mono enabled for the bass, but since I wasn't good at it either, I'm not sure if this will work for all. But it's a good test to do!

I guess one possible reason I don't see this in my normal playing is that I often DONT put the chords in the RH in the same pattern as I'm playing the bass (as opposed to the example in the thread above) or maybe I am just a much more sloppy player, not hitting the chords on time :-)
Last edited by baekgaard on 29 Jul 2019, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
dmamfmgm
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby razfaz » 29 Jul 2019, 20:59

Hi all,
thanks again for your help :thanks:

@baekgaard: Yes! Turning the bass into mono mode is a solution. I just played (fooled) around with it and it works (even if it's a strange feeling to play a "real" bass (sample) monophonic ... and so, I will still use my iPad).

@Michldigital: My workaround was an iPad-Sampletank bass ... also some kind of second board ... I bought a stage3 compact to not carry my "big" Kronos around. If a very simple task like bass/piano/pad is not managable for nord's flagship ...

@nord: pls think about that! ... the goal is: never steal voices from a bass. If you steal a voice from a pad it's not as bad as from a bass.
razfaz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 29 Jul 2019, 23:30

razfaz wrote:
@baekgaard: Yes! Turning the bass into mono mode is a solution. I just played (fooled) around with it and it works (even if it's a strange feeling to play a "real" bass (sample) monophonic ... and so, I will still use my iPad).

@nord: pls think about that! ... the goal is: never steal voices from a bass. If you steal a voice from a pad it's not as bad as from a bass.

Well, when I play one of my real basses, it is most often monophonic anyway... I can play some chords, but usually the score calls for monophonic playing :-)

But it's just a workaround until Nord gets this fixed, which I'm confident they will. It is not so much about stealing from a bass vs some other type, it's more like having a rule maybe to guarantee each panel has at least one voice, or that the most reason tone in each panel is allowed to play, etc. To me it just sounds like a bug to be fixed.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby fabiokey » 31 Jul 2019, 15:02

I tried the "mono" workaround on the bass but it doesn't work.
Maybe , this way , bass notes are missing statistically less times than in "normal" mode.....It happens so randomly that I cannot be sure of that....
Even with Bass in Mono Mode , Bass notes randomly disappears.
On last update , 2.22 (the one I have on my Compact) , I can read "Improvements to Synth voice handling".......so maybe the problem , even if is not solved yet at the moment , was focused.....
Really hope Nord will solve this with new OS.
Last edited by fabiokey on 31 Jul 2019, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby razfaz » 03 Nov 2019, 18:25

Hi Fabiokey,

any news on this topic? I had a reaction from Nord some time ago ... they said something like: Michldigital has the right answer ... don't use more then one Synth in one Panel???
Never got an answer after I worte back that you can't use more than one Synth in one panel.

Did you get an answer from Nord? Or any solution?

@Nord: Again, Bass/Piano/Pad is a task that should be easy to do with a flagship model ... a 500 EUR board can do it. Pls help out with something!
razfaz

Postby razfaz » 03 Nov 2019, 18:25

Hi Fabiokey,

any news on this topic? I had a reaction from Nord some time ago ... they said something like: Michldigital has the right answer ... don't use more then one Synth in one Panel???
Never got an answer after I worte back that you can't use more than one Synth in one panel.

Did you get an answer from Nord? Or any solution?

@Nord: Again, Bass/Piano/Pad is a task that should be easy to do with a flagship model ... a 500 EUR board can do it. Pls help out with something!
razfaz

Postby fabiokey » 09 Jan 2020, 17:08

Hi Razfaz. No answer from Clavia yet...... I always played same amount of notes with every model of NORD STAGE in the last 7 years without having ANY problem.....I'm checking also in various forums....no solution till now....someone says they don't have any problem , someone says is facing same problem..
Last edited by fabiokey on 09 Jan 2020, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 3
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Postby hilbilly parade » 09 Jan 2020, 17:44

Here is an old link to my go to bass sound use in conjunction with any sound and it never gives me an issue.
It is not sample based cuts through the mix get compliments from bass players all the time.
nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/request-for-hold-the-line-program-t18795.html#p125791
hilbilly parade
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: NS3 STRANGE POLYPHONY PROBLEMS - VIDEO

Postby fabiokey » 09 Jan 2020, 17:49

Hi !! Ithanx , 'll give a try :-) ....but this problem occours also with preset programs , so it should work anyway...
Nord Stage 3
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Re: NS3 STRANGE POLYPHONY PROBLEMS - VIDEO

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Jan 2020, 22:41

Have you checked what happens when recording MIDI? If the MIDI Note On message is missing, I wonder if it is the keyboard that not detecting the key press (e.g. faulty/dirty sensor?). If it does detect it, then it must be something else in the sample playing routines.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum