Using the expression pedal with the pipe organ's great

The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum
csimmons0
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Using the expression pedal with the pipe organ's great

Post by csimmons0 »

When the C2D is using the pipe organ model, is there any way to make an expression pedal vary the volume of the great? It seems to vary only the volume of the swell. One thing to note is that my setup consists of the C2D plus a pair of Viscount expression pedals and a Viscount pedalboard, and the expression pedals connect to the pedalboard, which connects to the C2D's MIDI bass pedal input. The expression pedals are not connected to the C2D directly, and I don't have a cable long enough to test whether that changes anything.
sweelinck

Re: Using the expression pedal with the pipe organ's great

Post by sweelinck »

Configuration questions aside, an expression pedal is also called a swell pedal because on a traditional pipe organ it controls a set of shutters that could be set to be fully opened, fully closed, or in between to control volume of the swell. I believe the name swell comes from the ability to do this. The Nord pipe organ model is a sampled European tracker organ, and having the expression pedal only control the swell is likely true to the instrument being simulated.
Last edited by sweelinck on 15 Nov 2019, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.