Bad power supplies?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mfmeitbual
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Bad power supplies?

Post by mfmeitbual »

We had a power outage today, when the power came back on my Stage 3 was dead. Checked fuse, it's fine, tried cables diffrent power etc, it's toast.

This the second time this has happened. The first was replaced via warranty exchange.

FB group seemed to indicate this is a common known problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a bit frustrated that my $3600 piano is a shiny red brick ATM with no apparent cause.
Bjosko
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: Bad power supplies?

Post by Bjosko »

I would suspect over current on your 110 volt supply into your house when power came back.
Claim the electricity company, or get a over voltage protection if it are happen on a regular basis.
Most power supply’s have a protection for it, but not sure for the Nord. Since the fuse seems OK, and if other gear are working from the same outlet, I guess something are fried in your board :-x
I am often switching off/on my boards on the wall contact, and it have never happen.
/Bjørn
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Sorry to hear this. I would check the fuse again with the tester (or try a new fuse) sometimes the fuses look OK but they are not.
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

This happened to me with a stage 2 and also a stage 3. they are sensitive so I'd recommend some form of power conditioning rack, etc or UPS.